Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The pill - advice please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, it seems that the problems with my head become a lot worse during my period. Having spoken to some women about this, my situation isn't that usual.

I have an appointment with my GP on Monday because I'm convinced that yet again, my medication has stopped work. (or it's the period stuff mentioned above) I am almost on the maximum dose I can go on.

Now here comes the problem:
I saw the neurologist last month and was told that if my current medication doesn't work, (I have to accept that I will never be pain free; but I have a lot of days where I'm in some rather serious pain) he's going to put me on something called Topamax. Having had a quick nose on Google, it can stop the pill from working.

Over the last few months, I've had chronic kidney pain at the start of my period. It doesn't matter how much I drink. :(

Ideally, I would love to be period free. Due to my learning disability and visual impairments, they are something I've always struggled with.

Comments

• Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Melian,

I just noticed your post hasn't had a response so thought I'd see if I could help. I realise you may have been to the doctor's already so things have probably moved on since then and I hope you got some good news about your medication?

In your post you talk about the problems you're having with your periods and say that if you're put onto Topamax you may have to stop using the pill all together. This is understandably worrying if you're used to having horrible periods.

The good news is that there's some new 'next generation' style contraception out there now so you might be able to finds something else that works, even if you are put on to Topamax. Everyone is different and it can take a while and some experimentation to find a form of contraception that suits you (whether you're using it to deal with difficult periods or to stop pregnancy). It's important to keep pushing the issue with your GP surgery until you get to a point where you're happy with the contraception you're taking.

I found this guide explaining the type of contraception options open to women who are on Topamax (Topiramate). Please note it might be out of date or incorrect now, but at least it's a guide.

One method that's suggested is the coil (the IUS form of the coil can make your periods very light or even stop them).

When you're about to launch into a tricky/frustrating conversation with your practice nurse or your doctor it can be helpful to note down your points first so you go in prepared and can be clear about why you why you don't want to have periods and how you want to explore the options and find the right contraceptive for you.

Let us know how you get on - good luck.

Emma_R
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks.

As predicted, I have been put on to Topamax and they know that periods are a trigger.

They did put me on something else, which was absolutely horrid and had to stop taking it rather quickly.
    Hi there Melian :)

I just wanted to stop by and check in with you - how are you doing? Did you go back to your GP and ask to try something else?

Let us know how you are doing - we're here to support you :)
    Thanks. I've got to go back next week and see what they say. Not expecting too much. I know that this GP thinks I'm imagining the issues I have. (I have a very rare neurological disorder which no-one understands and thinks is "just a headache", even though your typical headache tablets don't touch it)

There isn't much else I can go on really. Topamax is only last hope by the sounds of it.
    Well you know the truth Melian - the people who doubt that are stupid.

Let us know how your appointment goes. I really hope it works for you *hug*
    Thanks.

That was a waste of time. I've been offered talking therapy. The doctor still thinks I'm imagining the pain. I've lived with this serious pain on and off since I was at least 7, which got worse as a teenager, stopped for some years and then started again last year. I was waiting for someone to suggest that I'm imagining it.
    Have you had a referral to the pain clinic yet?
    No I haven't. I'm waiting to be seen by someone from the headache clinic, which can take forever.
    Hurrah!

Spoke to GP on Wdneesday. Pretty much pain free for now, apart from the odd day. Although, Topamax gives me some seriously odd dreams now.

Nothing more has been said about me supposedly imagining the pain. The GP I saw on Wednesday, I saw when the previous medication gave me suicidal urges / depression. Nothing more has been mentioned about that either.