Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Camhs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,
So yeah it's been a while since I've posted anything.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with CAMHS? And if so could you please tell me what they are like as a service, your opinions on them etc!

Also what would be really helpful is if someone is able to tell me how I can access their services, whether I need a referral to them etc....

So yeah :)
Hope you are all doing well!!
Goodbye for now:wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Camhs?

Hi Charlee

I don't have experience of CAMHS but you can get a referal through your GP or you can get a self referal either you can ring or they are more likely to listen to an adult asking for support for their child. However you are best going to your GP and seeing if they can refer you to the service :)

Let us know how you get on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oooh great! Thank you Liz :)
    That's brilliant thank you!
    I got a referral through a&e but yeah, as blondieliz says, gp might be your best bet. I was with camhs for over a year and in my opinion their service is incredible. My camhs worker tried extremely hard to build the best relationship she could with me and they just listen for the most part. I did actually get my confidentiality broken but it's really all about what you decide to share with your worker.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there,

You can also get a referral via your school nurse/counselor, or a teacher (Head/Deputy Head) - I just want to echo what Butterfly has said really, CAMHS offer a variety of support for young people, and a variety of therapies, at first they might not be helping, but it's about taking little steps and making changes, improvements.

It's positive to see you're looking into getting support for yourself, that is quite an amazing step, I'm proud of you, I didn't have the best CAMHS worker at first, but my second one was amazing, she was more experienced, and challenged my thoughts. Because CAMHS is a family service you're also likely to get other people involved, such as social services, and your school. Your parents will also be involved to, but CAMHS worker will often tell you before they breach confidentiality and explain why they're making this breach.

But they can also offer support to your parents and try explaining why you're behaving the way you are, because often parents who haven't been through mental health difficulties etc, struggle to understand, and I know having a separate worker talking to my parents about my behavior had really helped in how they supported me.

But remember, it doesn't always work out first time, sometimes we need to go through many hurdles before finding the right one, but I'm totes proud of you for wanting to get better :heart: And you're always welcome to reach out to support offered here to. Just keep going Charl :) and let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart