Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Applying for jobs when you're shy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you're shy and when you're looking for a job you really like, do you think it's not right for you because it says something similar to 'you'll be the first point of contact' in the job description and it puts you off ?

I really want to apply for a Office Administrator job and it says that I'll be the first point of contact. I'm a shy guy and I hate it.

Should I go for it anyway?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Spintires,

I think you should go for it, you never know it may boost your confidence in the job role, what have you to lose by applying anyway, worth a try right?

Being shy shouldn't stop you applying for things you really want, before my first job I was a real shy person but since then I've grown in confidence and feel better in myself for applying for something I never thought I'd be able to do. Since then I've moved on to other jobs with more skills than I had when I had my first job.

It's a daunting experience being the first port of contact, being the person people will be going to if they have a problem etccc but it's worth applying for, if you've nothing to lose as you can gain so many new skills from any job even if you're shy it may boost your confidence more :)

Good Luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your reply :)

Yes, I agree that it shouldn't stop me from applying for jobs and it may give me the confidence. I think I get put off because I did some work experience 11 years at Bradford & Bingley Building Society and I had to answer a phone. My supervisor told me off, SHOUTED at me, because I wouldn't answer it. I should have complained towards her boss, but I didn't.

Since then I've been skeptical about applying for jobs that require you to use a phone.

I showed my sister the job and she said that I should apply for it. So I have :)
    Well done for applying for the job :)

The more you answer the phone the easier it's gets I used to hate answering the phone but now I've done it a lot it's easier :)

Good luck with your application! Let us know how you get on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks I'll let you know. Might be a while yet because it's only just been posted four days ago.

The job is for an Office Administrator.

Been working in a factory for 10 years. About time I used those qualifications I have an Business Admin :)
    Best of luck, SpinTires - it's admirable that you've put your fears aside for the bigger picture.
    Well done for applying!

I too was terrified of the phone in my early days of work and really shy. Lots of temp roles I did required me to answer it so I just had to throw myself in the deep end and it's a great way to build your confidence and communication skills.

Over time you learn a few ways to mange it.. thought I'd share a few tips I've learned from when I have worked on reception or in a first point of contact role:

You're not expected to have all the answers! - be proactive and ask lots of questions in the first few weeks so you are sure about who to put calls through to etc. Ask what kind of calls usually come in.

Make sure you feel confident using the actual phone itself - it's fine to ask someone if they don't mind holding the line whilst you find out the answer to their question so make sure you know how to put people on hold.

Ask people to repeat things - if it's not clear why someone is calling or you didn't catch their name ask them politely to repeat it. Practice what you might say.

Remember the caller isn't out to get you! ;) - be friendly and remember whoever is on the end is only human. What's the worst that could happen? Think about what that key fear is for you and then come up with ways to prepare for it.

Be friendly and speak clearly - as 'first point of contact' you represent the company so try and smile and be welcoming to any visitors or callers.

It's okay to say you're new - I would often say, ' I must admit I'm new to this role but really keen to help so do bear with me and I'll see what I can do.' Being honest can take the pressure off the call.

Hope that helps a bit :thumb:
    Update: Haven't heard anything so I'm presuming that the position has been filled.

I've worked out that I've applied for 31 jobs (4 of which I've applied during Xmas) so far this year and I've only had one measily interview. I feel like I won't be getting a job any time soon.

I'm seriously desperate and I'm fed up being at home all the time.

I've had about five anxiety attacks this year thinking about money and what 'the future' will hold.

Just fed up.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Hi SpinTires,

Just wanted to drop in and say that it's really good you're applying for all these jobs, it takes a lot of effort to apply for jobs so don't understate that. It can certainly knock your confidence if you're not hearing back from job applications, so what you're feeling is completely natural.

We've recently released an app to help people stay motivated whilst looking for work, you might find it useful...http://www.thesite.org/apps-and-tools/our-apps

Also, if you're getting a bit fed up spending all day at home, maybe try and make a little routine for yourself for most days to follow. Sometimes with unemployment your sleep patterns can get all out of whack and there's not much reason to get out of the house. Maybe try and regularly go for a walk after lunch each day, or things like that?

Try not to feel bad about giving yourself a break as well. It's draining applying for jobs and can be a mental strain, so try to give yourself a break or a day off now and then. It might help you feel a bit rejuvanated.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.
    Thanks for the link, but I don't use apps.

I do get out of the house now and again, but I'm trying not to use any fuel and I don't want to go walking around near my house. I'd rather go for a drive somewhere.