Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it too late?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not wanting to live in regrets (life is to short after all), I told a friend how I feel about them - it went on a while, safe to say she didn't feel the same and now things are very awkward between us and my other friends - their advice was not to say anything yet.

On one hand I am glad I was able to air it out on the open but on the other I hate the way things are now.

Is it too late to salvage a friendship after this? as we haven't spoken in a while and last time we did it was short and far from sweet... a part of me is thinking she doesn't even want to be friends now.

I her, she's is pretty incredible to be honest :/

Comments

• Options
    RMWB wrote: »
    Not wanting to live in regrets (life is to short after all), I told a friend how I feel about them - it went on a while, safe to say she didn't feel the same and now things are very awkward between us and my other friends - their advice was not to say anything yet.

On one hand I am glad I was able to air it out on the open but on the other I hate the way things are now.

Is it too late to salvage a friendship after this? as we haven't spoken in a while and last time we did it was short and far from sweet... a part of me is thinking she doesn't even want to be friends now.

I her, she's is pretty incredible to be honest :/

I think you did the right thing. For the situation between you both: Just let a little grass grow over it and just resume casual, amicable contact later.

Why is it awkward with your other friends, though?

There is a possibility for friendship after you've been rejected. Like I said I would give this a bit of a cool off period first. You want to get over your crush as well and not relapse. Also this depends a lot on HER. If she can't handle the fact that someone is open about his feelings to her (I am sure other men wouldn't mind jumping into the sack with her, they just haven't been open about it) and is ready to quit the friendship then I guess she wasn't that incredible after all. Just focus on other things for a few weeks until your rose-coloured vision wears off and then just try to see her again (btw. decide for yourself if it's even worth the hassle if she handled it poorly), maybe at first in a group of mutual friends.
  • Options
    Hi there RMWB, welcome to the boards :wave:

It'll will always be a bit of a risk to open up about how you feel with a friend, but you should be proud of yourself - it must've taken a lot of guts for you to do :yes:

It's hard to know whether it's too late. Like StrubbleS mentioned, a cool off period is probably needed - for her and for you. It might seem hard now, but time really does help. Perhaps she needs time to feel less awkward, or guilty about not feeling the same. To be able to be together like you were before will mean seeing each other quite a few times to get that back, probably as a group. Again, strubbleS comment about how she handled it and whether you think she's worth being friends with again is something worth thinking about too.

What do your other friends say? Are they able to be friends with both of you and not be awkward?

Have a look at this expert answer about a similar situation that can help.

Remember - you told her how you felt because you said "life is short" - so even though it may feel early, it could be worth using that same mentality to help you eventually move on and meet someone else who will be surely interested :D

Let us know how you get on *hug*