Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice with Esa and Jsa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I am currently claiming ESA and on housing benefit. I don't want to offend anyone in any way but I want to stop claiming ESA but been informed my HB will stop if I do or if I claim JSA which I don't want either. the reason I don't want these benefits is because I refuse to be put in a work group to be patronised in how to create a cv or get a job. I only say this as its my personal opinion and I know that I don't need this type of help. I know how to search and apply for jobs hence not wanting to claim JSA, as I am applying every day for jobs and like many others nothing so far.

does anyone know if I stop claiming these whether my child tax credit would increase at all ! I really don't want to sound disrespectful or anything of that nature I just don't want to have to claim these benefits. any advice will be appreciated. thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I claim ESA and I totally understand how you feel but if you want to keep HB you're going to have to jump through the hoops. It's not for long and once it's done it's done.

I'm not 100% about tax credits though!
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi shelleyk1969

I think you might have been misinformed about HB. It would probably be stopped if you finish your ESA claim. BUT, you can claim HB on the basis of having a low income. So, if you're on a low income, you could make a new claim and as long as you can prove your income and savings are below a certain level, then you should be able to keep claiming HB.

Tax Credits calculations are always complicated, but try putting the two different scenarios into this benefits calculator and seeing what the difference is: http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Miss_Riot's right about jumping through hoops - I think the first thing is to make sure that you're gopng to have enough money to live off. So it would be worth getting some expert advice before making any decisions.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can advise you on benefits issues, and can also do a full benefits check to see what you are entitled to. All services are free of charge.

I hope that helps :)
    HB may want to know what you're living on.
    Hi I am currently claiming ESA and on housing benefit. I don't want to offend anyone in any way but I want to stop claiming ESA but been informed my HB will stop if I do or if I claim JSA which I don't want either. the reason I don't want these benefits is because I refuse to be put in a work group to be patronised in how to create a cv or get a job. I only say this as its my personal opinion and I know that I don't need this type of help. I know how to search and apply for jobs hence not wanting to claim JSA, as I am applying every day for jobs and like many others nothing so far.

does anyone know if I stop claiming these whether my child tax credit would increase at all ! I really don't want to sound disrespectful or anything of that nature I just don't want to have to claim these benefits. any advice will be appreciated. thank you

If I was you, I would attend the work group. Who cares if you think you don't need any help in searching for a job, you could always attend the work group and see if you can revamp your CV and gain ideas on where to look for jobs etc.

They are only trying to help you search for a job.
    SpinTires wrote: »
    If I was you, I would attend the work group. Who cares if you think you don't need any help in searching for a job, you could always attend the work group and see if you can revamp your CV and gain ideas on where to look for jobs etc.

They are only trying to help you search for a job.

But they've been found unfit for work and aren't required to job search. And from experience, those groups are useless.
    I understand that but it would be wise for the person to go and see if it's worth going again...
    I think your tax credits only increase if you start work because then you will get working tax credits if I was you I would keep things as they are because you can't afford to do things any different without causing financial strain