Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Don't know how to deal with anxiety

Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
I had a pretty bad panic attack last Sunday and I just haven't felt right since and have no idea how to deal with it.

It's mostly fucking me up at night, I try and lay down to go to sleep and my chest starts going weird and my arm starts going numb. I have a friend who was a mental health nurse for ages and he told me to do the box breathing method but I'd rather find a longer term solution.

I'm not sure if going to the doctor or talking to a uni counsellor will help. I'm so tired but I can't sleep at night, only during the day really, and I know it's all mental. I'd rather not be on meds that can be addictive, I fall into addictions far too easily and quickly.

I've dealt with severe depression and when I get low now I can deal with it but this anxiety is something new to me and I don't know what to do about it.

I am looking for solutions here, knowing other people have it is of no help to me because I know it's a common problem. I'm also not looking for any kind of sympathy I just want help. I sound like a bitch but I'm getting desperate. I just want techniques on how to combat this or advice on what action is best to take next.

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Annaarrr

That does sound really difficult. As your looking for solutions, I really think that talking to your doctor or uni counsellor would be a good start. You're right that it's possible it won't help, but it might well do. It sounds like you're struggling enough that it's worth trying those options. Maybe the uni counsellor would be the best way to start for a non-medical option?

You could check out what Anxiety UK have on offer too. They do charge a bit for some of their services, but worth a look.

And there's an expert chat on dealing with panic attacks here.

I hope that helps, let us know what helps.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Self Help??

Hey Annaarrr

Panic attacks really are crappy and can leave you feeling pretty pants for a long while after. Danny has posted a link to AnxietyUK who have some great information on their site. Defo worth having a browse around the webpages. This specific page has some "Self Help" stuff on it which could be of use to you? Self help is usually helpful in terms of a more long term, permanent solution as that way you're not reliant on professionals. I am aware that helping yourself when in such a state is sometimes impossible but it could be useful even if for just a short time before getting in touch with professionals. I've also had a read through stuff on Mind's website and this could be of some use to you?

I defo think Danny is right - it could be really useful to speak to a counsellor within your university. I was extremely hesitant about speaking to the health&well-being team at my uni when I was there, but I was glad I did as not only did it support me with my mental health problems, it was also helpful in terms of extra time with exams, extension support where necessary and liaising with lecturers/staff. Is there someone who could go with you for your initial chat with them? Usually helps to not be alone to start with but I know different things work for different people. In terms of going to the GP - this could be helpful just so they know what's going on for you at the moment. Even if you don't want medication (and that is totally your decision) it could still be good to keep them in the loop. Everyone has different relationships with their GP's though so it's understandable if you'd rather not.

I always find it helpful to remind myself of "baby steps" - little steps to take in order to keep myself on track. It's really positive to note here that you're aware of what's helpful for you and what is not. It's evident that you've tried certain things and they're just not appropriate for you at this time - that's helpful in itself!!

I apologise if non of this is of any use!! Do come back and let us know if you've found anything helpful (it could help others too!) and if you're feeling like you're not making much progress, don't hesitate to say so and we can look into different approaches to helping you with the Anxiety!!

Stay strong *hug*