Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Storage Heaters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

So I mentioned this in chat aaaages ago!

I'm looking forward to moving out (AGAIN!) but would like to know your opinions on storage heaters. A few flats I've looked at have the storage heaters, but then I do have the option to keep waiting and hope a house pops up which loves me lots!

I'll have a newborn in March, and really want to know if storage heaters would be able to keep it warm enough in the flat for my little one? Or if it's a no go area, and I should just look for gas central heating (which is more my cuppa tea!)

Any experiences would be great! Thankies!:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Much like gas heating, it depends hugely on the heaters that you've got and how well they've been sized compared to the rooms and insulation.

Your best bet is probably talking to the current resident if you can in each case.
    Much like gas heating, it depends hugely on the heaters that you've got and how well they've been sized compared to the rooms and insulation.

Your best bet is probably talking to the current resident if you can in each case.

The resident doesn't live there any more, the rooms are a good size and looks like the heaters are the right size for the room.

I think if I moved in this property it's a hell if a lot of hullabaloo as I've always had gas heating so it's a change! And I wouldn't want to move there if it wasn't going to do the same job as a gas heater!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I have them - or rather one in my living room that I use and then one in my hall which I don't (inappropriately placed, no benefit).
    They are unresponsive in terms of needing heat suddenly (e.g. sudden drop in temperature) so you have to be organised and plan for the weather.
    That said, I've never had a huge problem - admittedly I am not home much in the day but in the evening my living room is still warm. My bill wasn't huge for last winter and I never had them on full. But then again, I do just put another jumper on etc so I'm not sure how it would be with a baby.
    Only issue I can think of is whether you would need to boost - basically the heater charges up over night on the cheaper energy tariff and then lets the heat out over the course of the day (but predominently the morning) - meaning you might need to boost on the more expensive day tarriff.
    Generally they are meant to be quite economical, which is a good thing. I haven't lived alone with gas central heating, so I can't compare like for like I'm afraid.
    plugitin wrote: »
    I have them - or rather one in my living room that I use and then one in my hall which I don't (inappropriately placed, no benefit).
    They are unresponsive in terms of needing heat suddenly (e.g. sudden drop in temperature) so you have to be organised and plan for the weather.
    That said, I've never had a huge problem - admittedly I am not home much in the day but in the evening my living room is still warm. My bill wasn't huge for last winter and I never had them on full. But then again, I do just put another jumper on etc so I'm not sure how it would be with a baby.
    Only issue I can think of is whether you would need to boost - basically the heater charges up over night on the cheaper energy tariff and then lets the heat out over the course of the day (but predominently the morning) - meaning you might need to boost on the more expensive day tarriff.
    Generally they are meant to be quite economical, which is a good thing. I haven't lived alone with gas central heating, so I can't compare like for like I'm afraid.

Thanks Kate, I may ask the landlord if I decide on this flat. It's lovely inside and a good size. I guess if I have my own electric heaters as well, I'll just actually be spending a bit more on electric then the same on each! Xx

I find them awful in MrRiot's flat, they don't heat all of the room, they cost a fortune, and they only seem to provide heat during the day and are cold by evening.
    Hmm. I'm viewing a house today and it has has central heating - I'm thinking I may stick to gas as I know much much I use and how to work it and how to fix it if it goes tits up! Really appreciate your views though! Thank you x