Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Limits when drinking.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

I know there are various reasons as to why people drink but for me I prefer to drink as it usually makes me quite confident and merry.

I tend to carry on drinking even when I know I already have the desired affect that I was hoping for so I don't really stick to my limit.

Do you guys know your limits? Do you tend to stop drinking when you realise you've had enough?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Yes. I don't like the feeling of being completely pissed. I tend to get tired long before that happens though.
    Always been quite sensible with my drink and drugs use - thankfully never been to hospital for simply being too drunk or high.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    I'm with Skive, I've always been pretty aware of my limits after 1 or 2 times when i was really young - it scared me far too much to get so out of control I could barely stand! Now that I'm older I also get horrific hangovers and with housework to do and bills to pay I can't spend whole days in bed like I could when I was 18!

One tip I have is that as you do learn your limits, stand up for yourself if others try to pressure you to keep drinking. At uni I found I got a fair bit of pressure to keep drinking when I didn't want to, but sticking by my guns definitely gained me more respect over time :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My limit is currently nothing - because of the medication I'm on.

I am pretty aware of my limitations and so, tend to only have one or two drinks on an evening out.

I have never had a hangover; but I know that's because of how low my tolerance is.
    I can't bring myself to binge drink - or like those who do it excessively, I know when I've had enough and when I need to eat something after having a few drinks then when I need water. I've only ever had alcohol poisoning once, when I was 18 for my first night in town, swore never again. Horrible experience - never had a hangover or anything since!
    I have my moments where I binge drink but i do know when ive had enough. Ive been ill before and very very hungover but never been to hospital or had my stomach pumped or passed out.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I know there are various reasons as to why people drink but for me I prefer to drink as it usually makes me quite confident and merry.

I tend to carry on drinking even when I know I already have the desired affect that I was hoping for so I don't really stick to my limit.

It sounds like you know your limit fairly well butterfly (not an easy thing for lots of people!) Why do you think you tend to push on past it?
    James wrote: »
    It sounds like you know your limit fairly well butterfly (not an easy thing for lots of people!) Why do you think you tend to push on past it?

I like being confident and I particularly like being merry, it's such a change to my usual state of mind. I'm not certain but I guess I tend to push past my limit so that I can keep that feeling drinking gives me for longer. I can admit now that I know it never works - I just get poorly when I carry on drinking and I eventually get sleepy which leads to such a crash down from where I was when I first became drunk but when I'm in that moment of drinking, I cling onto the thought of drinking more than my limit being worth a try. It's almost like hope. I know that's silly.

Thank you everyone for your input!