Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Seeking Help for Anxiety, without parents knowing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suffer from anxiety in many situations, and this has been a recurring problem for just over three years now. I sought help in early 2012 from CAMHS due to having an anxiety attack on a school trip and having to have a taxi drive me half way up the country to return home (funny story that). My dad wasn't too keen on me seeking help for it, because he felt that my anxiety issues weren't that bad. Also, as most parents do, they want to know everything, but I don't feel comfortable talking about such things to my parents, I'd much prefer a doctor or a complete stranger.

Anyways, anxiety issues have became a lot more frequent for me now over the past 3 months and I went to see the doctor about it because it was entirely random and there was no significant factor that was causing it. It's becoming worse. I don't tell my parents when I'm feeling anxious very often.

Is there any way I could potentially see my GP, ask him if I could speak to somebody about it, all without my parents really knowing? I should probably mention that I'm 18, still in full time education too.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Guzzo,

Welcome :)

It's really positive to hear you've received some help in the past and are keen to continue making progress.

Absolutely you can - GP appointments at any age are confidential and even more so when you're aged 18. The following comes from one of TS factsheets...
    Many professionals offer confidential help and advice to young people, but there isn?t one set rule that covers confidentiality, so ask your doctor or health professional. All staff working for the NHS have a legal duty to follow the NHS Code of Practice on Confidentiality. This means they must ask for your consent before passing information to anyone else ? this is part of their duty of care and applies whatever age you are.

Hope this helps, but let us know if you have any more questions/concerns and hope you find this place helpful for other things :)