Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your fave horror movie? (may contain trailers with scary scenes!)

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey lovely people :wave:

So as Halloween is coming up, we thought it would be a cool idea to all share our fave horror movies movies.

We can also link the trailers from YouTube onto the thread to.

I don't have one fave horror movie cos I am a massive horror movie fan, so it's hard to pick one, but here is one that I really liked.

Sharing is caring :heart:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gotta love insidious! I also love The Grudge, Paranormal Activity (all of them), The conjuring, Anabelle!
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    ooh I liked the grudge. Is Anabelle the new film that is out?
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    ooh I liked the grudge. Is Anabelle the new film that is out?

Yeah it's the follow up to The Conjuring :)
    Ahh right, ooh I think a girl who I work with went to see it at the cinema, she said it was quite freaky. Gotta love horror movies though :heart:
    Ahh right, ooh I think a girl who I work with went to see it at the cinema, she said it was quite freaky. Gotta love horror movies though :heart:

Haha it was quite freaky but what scared me more were the sudden loud noises! You should watch it, 'tis a good one.
    I may have to watch it, but will probs have to wait til it's on dvd now :P
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Alien or John Carpenter's The Thing
    Weekender Offender 
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Silent Night, Deadly Night. :shocking:

An oldie, but a goodie.

Possibly better for post Christmas rather than Halloween though :chin:
    Havent seen those. :-) I am happy to say that netflix now has american horror story series 3, not a film but still kind of halloween related ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    So I'm like the biggest wimp ever with scary movies and never watch them. But when insidious was in cinema, I was dragged and forced to sit through it. Omg it was SL scary man! Haha. But yeah. That's my contribution to this thread haha
    Ah - it's like the world's best thread for me :)

First up a movie I find fascinating. Genre-wise it's a stalker flic but it doesn't some really interesting things with your expectations. Not only is one of the very few films from gangster obsessed, cult-fanatic, former Roeg collaborator Donald Cammell but it also features the too rarely seen Cathy Moriarty.
    Next up is a true genre mix-up, Four of the Apocalypse.

It's directed by Italian horror maestro Lucio Fulci, is a spaghetti western but is run through with a sense of dread, isolation and hopelessness. Not the most lighthearted introduction but it's great for creating the feel of an American Gothic tale.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Please keep posting recommendations! I'm looking for something utterly terrifying to watch at the weekend.

Currently reading The Shining for the first time after absolutely loving the film, so that's keeping me feeling very unsettled at the moment but means I can't watch the film again until I've finished the book.

I know it's not particularly scary, but there's something I love about Scream. The cliches, the mask, the comedy, the 2 dimensional characters. Always been a fan of The Cube as well. Event Horizon is one I loved as a kid.

That White of the Eye film looks right up my street though.
    And finally...

So here's my top pick for a horror movie.

Freaks is a 1932 film by Todd Browning (the director responsible for Universal's original Dracula). The controversial movie ended his career and over 80(!) years later it's lost little of it's power to shock. Indeed it may be even more challenging seen from a modern perspective.

Freaks falls squarely into the genre of horror movies that explore how society can percieve the innocent as monsters, playing on audience's expectations and prejudice. Freaks is probably more challenging than other similar films (think Frankenstein or Carrie) due to the casting.

Todd Browning had left home at 16 to join a travelling circus in 1896. This early experience was clearly drawn on when he created Freaks, especially in the way the film treats the show performers with compassion and understanding.

But above all this is a horror film and one that's truly stood the test of time, as seen by it's direct inspiration on season 4 of American Horror Story. Track it down and prepare yourself for a challenge that'll leave you with many, many questions.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Andy wrote: »
    Please keep posting recommendations! I'm looking for something utterly terrifying to watch at the weekend.

Currently reading The Shining for the first time after absolutely loving the film, so that's keeping me feeling very unsettled at the moment but means I can't watch the film again until I've finished the book.

I know it's not particularly scary, but there's something I love about Scream. The cliches, the mask, the comedy, the 2 dimensional characters. Always been a fan of The Cube as well. Event Horizon is one I loved as a kid.

That White of the Eye film looks right up my street though.

Have you seen Skive's recommendation 'The Thing'? Tis a good un.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I haven't seen The Thing. I've been meaning to for a while so should get around to that.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    omg i love horrors so this could be quite a list:P

The Reaping - even though it's not really a horror but i love it
    All the Chuckys :D
    Boo
    Dead Silence
    Silent Hill Revelation
    The Dark
    Here comes the devil

Children of the corn... all of them apart from therevelation one cause havent seen that one, watching it tonight along with the abc's of death:P

and now got silent night, deadly night on my list to watch on netflix :D
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Ooh boo is good. Also, white noise, but I've still never actually seen the ending of white noise -_-
    I liked boo, I may have a horror movie night on Friday..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Ooh boo is good. Also, white noise, but I've still never actually seen the ending of white noise -_-

Is it on Netflix ?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Boo is on netflix
    Yeahh but is white noise ..

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
    Yeahh but is white noise ..

I stopped paying for Netflix. I have white noise on DVD but it's broken, hence the reason I've never seen the ending D: I could easily go get another copy though so I can't moan :p
    aww it sounds good :) i think dead silence is the best horror though :P but it has kinda made me scared of dolls...
    I just read up about dead silence, not sure if I'll be watching that, sounds like it might be rather gory :p