Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I tell them I want to leave my volunteering role

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been doing volunteer work in a dog shelter these past 2 years. I loved going there when I didn't have a job. I used to go there 3 times a week 6 or 7hours a day. Now I have a part time job and still going to the shelter but I cut down the hours to 4 hours 2 times in a week. I've been thinking a lot about not going any more. I want to figure stuff out and I want to take a break from the shelter and see how I feel about it. I've been getting sad when the day cones to go because after worki don't want to go. My problem is how am I going to tell them ? They got used to me a lot and don't really want me to leave and that complicate things more for me to tell them that I don't want to go anymore.

There are 3 persons that I work with because everybody have their day to work there. We have a routine. It makes it more difficult to tell them, the 3 of them.

Anyone can help please I want to tell them without sounding rude. Even though I know that they are going to hate me for it. I don't know what im going to do:crying: but I want to do it soon.

Thanksin advance for anyone who reads this.

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Hey hun,
    I find keeping busy helps me, having routine and something to focus on, but it's great to take a break to work things out too. We all need a little time to get ourselves together.

Just explain to them that you are sorry but that you've got a lot to deal with right now and won't be able to come for a while, and that you hope to come back soon.
    I'm sure that they will understand, and if they know it's nothing they have done to scare you off, I don't think it would upset them or sound rude.

Hope that helps. Xx
  • Options
    Reena wrote: »
    Hey hun,
    I find keeping busy helps me, having routine and something to focus on, but it's great to take a break to work things out too. We all need a little time to get ourselves together.

Just explain to them that you are sorry but that you've got a lot to deal with right now and won't be able to come for a while, and that you hope to come back soon.
    I'm sure that they will understand, and if they know it's nothing they have done to scare you off, I don't think it would upset them or sound rude.

Hope that helps. Xx

Thanks Reena for replying to my post. Yeah it does help to keep yourself busy but i really want to do this. I will try without going and if im upset or want to go back again i will ask them if they take me back.
    You always find an answer to my questions thanks so much. Thats a good way to tell them, i didnt think of it.

Whats the best way to tell them, with an email or face to face? I have to tell 3 different people. :/
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Pinkgirl,

It sounds like you've been a really committed volunteer for a long time and have given so much. You should feel really proud of this and try to remember that even if the volunteer managers are disappointed at you leaving - they couldn't possibly hate you, because you've brought so much to their shelter and the animals you've cared for there. They'll be aware that you're a good person and that you've really done as much as you can.

This kind of thing is rarely easy though, so you do right by thinking carefully about it. How about writing them a really nice thank you card highlighting how you've enjoyed your time, maybe letting them know what you've learned from them and how much praise you have for the work they do? Then as Reena says, you could add that you have a lot going on, but will consider coming back in the future should time permit.

More than anything, I'm seconding Reena's thoughts, but think it would be nice at this point to reflect on your learning and what you've gained from it with them, because then if you do decide not to go back, you won't have missed that chance.

Hope that helps a little :)
  • Options
    Yeah i'm still doing as much as i can, I have to much on my plate right now. i have 5 cats, a dog, bird,a hamster and a rabbit that i have to take care of aswell and being depressed and all that stuff doesn't really help me much to get on with my days. You and Reena are right, I have to find the courage to get myself to do it but it's really hard because i always helped them and I pushed myself harder to do other stuff and i got more depressed and when i'm depressed i'm not a good owner for my pets which i feel more worse about not being good for them. :(

Thanks for the advice though. Maybe i can get myself to do it sometime soon. I really wish that i dont know them that much than it would have been easier to tell them :'(