Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mess!

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This will be more venting than asking for advice.

So I tried to order some furniture from IKEA. Something went wrong with my web browser and I got charged 5 times (I kept trying to submit the order thinking it hadn't worked). That was on Saturday.

So I call IKEA and try to cancel them all, and also my bank. IKEA say they don't see the transactions, bank says they've been approved. I keep calling them both on Sunday.

Eventually I get called back by IKEA and they say they'll speak to the bank tomorrow (which is today) to resolve it.

In the meantime, I do need furniture, so I try again (making a change to the order; I'm cancelling the other ones). Transaction denied. I call the bank again but they say my card isn't blocked.

I decide to give it a day. Today, I don't get called again by IKEA but I get an e-mail confirming one of the "wrong" orders. I send them an e-mail to cancel it again, and I also call them in the afternoon.

They say I have to wait 24 hours to cancel because it's not on their system yet.

I try to place the correct order again, declined again, I call the bank again, they say card's not blocked -again.

I try a different browser, it gives me a different message, with an error code. The bank changes its mind and says my card is blocked after all.

So I go through security questions to unblock it, and I try again. Still declined. Bank says card was successfully unblocked and transaction was approved (!), website says it was denied.

So now I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if I've been charged AGAIN and whether I'm going to get the £1,500 I shouldn't have been charged back.

I hate having to wait.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    To be honest, I'd hold off making any more IKEA transactions until it's been sorted to avoid confusion.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But it means I'll have to spend a week or more almost without any furniture. Glarblargle. Luckily, I've ordered a bed from elsewhere.
    They've refunded one of the charges. Someone today told me to send a bank statement to customer service and I did, I'll give them a call tomorrow if they don't reply.
    I was told, on the phone, that everything has been refunded. I hope that's true. I'll have to wait a few days to see if it appears on my statement.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they were just pre-auths then without any corresponding transaction they should clear off the system in a few days.

It sucks but it is just a matter of waiting unless you can get the bank to remove the authorisations early.
    In the end, the extra 4 apparently got refunded immediately as mistakes and just took days to appear.
    In the meanwhile I heard things like having to wait 2 weeks and stuff. But the end was good.