Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Five a day for your mind? Five ways to mental wellbeing

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
The NHS and Mind both recommend this approach to keeping mentally healthy:
  • Connect: this is the social relationships part, encouraging you to maintain old relationships and form new ones.
  • Be active: the physical dimension is about exercise of all sorts, including walking, sports and stretching.
  • Take notice: this is the mindfulness element, and suggests that you take notice of your environment and try to live more “in the moment”.
  • Learn: this doesn’t have to be academic (although it can be), but gaining new skills and knowledge enhances self-esteem as well as bringing more opportunities to be active and sociable.
  • Give: research shows that participation in social and community life tends to increase people’s happiness. Research into actions for promoting happiness has shown that committing an act of kindness once a week over a six-week period is associated with an increase in wellbeing.

What do you think - is this a realistic and practical route to mental wellbeing? Would you change anything (this could be to make it more ambitious, or more realistic, or more wide-ranging). Would you try these "five a day"?

You can find out more about the Five Ways including deeper descriptions and the evidence base from the New Economics Foundation here.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This links to Mind Apples which is a campaign which encourages people to think of five things every day which can help their mind and "general well-ness". I used it during a mental health campaign last year, it seemed to be well received and it's a good way of collaborating and sharing ideas.
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    This links to Mind Apples which is a campaign which encourages people to think of five things every day which can help their mind and "general well-ness". I used it during a mental health campaign last year, it seemed to be well received and it's a good way of collaborating and sharing ideas.

I forgot about that one, the "five a day" approach is obviously popular!

Which five a day do you prefer?
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    I forgot about that one, the "five a day" approach is obviously popular!

Which five a day do you prefer?

Probably Mind Apples. I like how it can be done as a community and ideas can be shared. It's more friendly and less in your face You Must Do This Because The Government Says So.
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    Give: research shows that participation in social and community life tends to increase people’s happiness. Research into actions for promoting happiness has shown that committing an act of kindness once a week over a six-week period is associated with an increase in wellbeing.

This reminds me of the (awesome) quote that is:

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
  • Options
    This reminds me of the (awesome) quote that is:

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

I like that :)
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    Probably Mind Apples. I like how it can be done as a community and ideas can be shared. It's more friendly and less in your face You Must Do This Because The Government Says So.

I'm interested that you see it that way Ella. Is it the five ways themselves that feel in your face? Or the fact that the NHS encourage you to follow them?
  • Options
    I like these! However like Ella find it a bit in your face, especially the 'take notice' one the whole idea of 'live in the moment' it feels slightly patronising but then again may just be me. I like the connect and be active one as they do help as you don't feel as isolated and are also taking care of physical needs as well as emotional and mental. (Gosh I sound like a health and social care student) the learn one is another of which I agree with! Only I've never found it a enhances my self esteem.... but that might just be me? Now my favourite is the give! I always feel happiest and at my best when I'm giving to others so this one is a good one, I know people who give to others whether money or time and they love it!
    I think it's fairly realistic as a whole but would change the take notice one.... to possibly 'see where you live and the positives in the day and surroundings'? What do others think?
  • Options
    rosebud wrote: »
    I think it's fairly realistic as a whole but would change the take notice one.... to possibly 'see where you live and the positives in the day and surroundings'? What do others think?

That makes sense, I like your suggestion about making an effort to see the positives.

Maybe "awareness" is a better term to use than "mindfulness", as in:

"Take time to be aware of the world around you, as well as your own thoughts. Look for the positives in your everyday life"?
  • Options
    Yeh I think that is much better way of wording it, it feels less patronising and manageable to do rather then what was initially suggested