Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

on leaving prison...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I was released last week from prison and cant find any financial support. The ex mrs threw all my stuff out (literally) when I got arrested, not only that she left me without a single penny. I walked out of there with the clothes on my back..thats it. I have applied for JSA, but I need things like clothes, a bed for where im staying, shoes, money to renew my driving licence. I cant seem to find anything:confused:.....can anyone suggest anything. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Mightywhitey

Welcome to the boards, it's great that you are reaching out for help here, it can take time to find your feet and to re-adjust to life after being in prison.

Here at TheSite we have an article on help with finances when leaving prison that might be a useful read.

Also NACRO have a helpline and support for exoffenders covering things like housing, education/training, jobs and finance and insurance.

Also your local Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) can be really helpful - you can find your local CAB and their phone number here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/about_this_site/get_advice.htm

The Hardman Trust may also be worth having a look they provide financial awards to help prisoners and ex offenders achieve their goals.

I hope some of the above is useful, good luck with everything. Continue to share on here and reach out to the community for support.
    :wave:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Mightywhitey,

I volunteer for an Charity called Crisis and you can find them here http://www.crisis.org.uk/?gclid=CIXn1MTZrsECFYzHtAodWHEA9g

They could be of some use to you maybe? They work with homeless people, but also help a lot of people apply for money they're entitled to, help with food vouchers for food banks, they run a large variety of classes, they help with back to work support and more. Their website is defo worth a look at along with the other links that have been provided above!!

All the best :)