Homeβ€Ί Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Massive workload and tight time frames

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys

So I was just wondering if I could have a bit of advice with college stuff.... I've got looooads of work recently and its all seemed to come at once. The teachers also seem a lot more stringent with time frames etc. Like for health and social care we have two massive assignments to do with in a week, as well as an assignment for law and revision for English language. I'm really struggling to keep on top of it... So any advice? I'm doing work in my frees everyday but I don't seem to be getting any closer to finishing any of it...

Sent by Sony Xperia
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Beckiboo

Wow it does sound like they are keeping you busy! Is it managing your time or tips on productive study that would be helpful?

I know that everyone is different when it comes to studying but I thought of a few things that I found useful (it has been a few years since I studied but I take the same approach with my work now).

I remember I used to find assignments overwhelming and knowing where to start a challenge. So I trained myself to breakdown the process.

So for example if I was to write an essay I would take it a point at a time and write the point I found most interesting first, I would then write my introduction and conclusions and put everything in the right order at the end.

This meant I could to set myself mini targets like write up point 1 and 2 of health and social care tonight and then make a mind map of one English lit topic. I found doing some of both subjects kept my interest and meant I was more productive with my time.

Also chat about the essays with friends on your course to bounce ideas around, this can give you a kick-start on those days when you don't feel like you can be bothered or can't focus. I also love a list :heart: so being able to tick things off when I have done them helps me to be organised and stay motivated.

Sometimes I find taking it offline and off screen can help, scribbling down notes old school style can sometimes be refreshing and help to order your thoughts.

What kind of things do you do at the moment when you are studying?
  • Options
    Hey Pippa!

ERM I don't really know because I generally manage my time quite well (like to know when in doing things etc) but it's just the workload. Its immense and I don't seem to be getting anywhere with it!! :o

I'm generally okay with my assignments from law, its just the health and social ones at the minute. They're crazy!

Yeah I do that with my English essays. My teacher thinks I'm crazy because it looks like I'm creating more work for myself but I'm not really. I hate conclusions so luckily we don't have to do them in English 😊 You don't really need to in any of my subjects to be fair

My friends aren't all that helpful with stuff like this to be honest because they leave it until the last minute. I hate doing that, its stresses me out to much

I'm a list person too :) most people know that. I've always got a notepad on me just in case haha. An excuse to visit paperchase 😊

So at the minute for my health and social assignments I try to plan out what I need to include then often just start writing the bits I don't understand first (which sounds odd I know). I just think doing that, I'm getting the hardest bit out of the way and I won't be stressing about it. For my law ones, I have flow diagrams with everything I need to include in the assignment 😊 A bit too organized I think!!

Thanks for that though 😊

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing all of the right things. The other thing that you might find helpful is to plan when you're actually going to do the chunks of work. You can make it easier for yourself, by trying to set up a regular pattern.

For example, If you've got 2 frees on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday and Thursday then 2 on Friday, the you could allocate the time each week to help keep the work kicking over.

Tuesday free 1 - Health and Social assignment planning, research and class note reviewing.
    Tuesday free 2 - English essay writing.
    Wednesday free - H&S assignment doing.
    Thursday free - English essay planning & reading
    Friday free 1 - H&S assignment doing
    Friday free 2 - Planning next weeks time.

Then you can use the evenings more flexibly for the bigger chunks that might not fit so well into a free. I used to find that having structure to my frees really helped me getting the most out of them, and also meant that I kept all of my subjects at least ticking over rather than yo-yo'ing between the different subjects depending on deadlines.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing all of the right things. The other thing that you might find helpful is to plan when you're actually going to do the chunks of work. You can make it easier for yourself, by trying to set up a regular pattern.

For example, If you've got 2 frees on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday and Thursday then 2 on Friday, the you could allocate the time each week to help keep the work kicking over.

That's an awesome idea, thanks! I try to plan as vest I can but sometimes H+SC assignments take over my full week then I have no time for anything else which sucks. God knows what its going to be like at uni!

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    BeckiBoo wrote: Β»
    God knows what its going to be like at uni!

I remember finding the step up from GCSE to A level tougher than A level to degree. Think it was because I wasn't used to independent learning. Whereas by uni I had got my technique down and I learnt most of that during my AS and A levels. :thumb::yes:

As Scary said it sounds like you're doing all of the right things. Keep up the hard work lovely!
  • Options
    PGreen wrote: Β»
    I remember finding the step up from GCSE to A level tougher than A level to degree. Think it was because I wasn't used to independent learning. Whereas by uni I had got my technique down and I learnt most of that during my AS and A levels. :thumb::yes:

As Scary said it sounds like you're doing all of the right things. Keep up the hard work lovely!

Yeah I agree, it was a massive leap from GCSE to a level :o can't really comment on degree level yet though haha
    Thanks P

Sent by Sony Xperia