Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Loans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I need to get £1,000 loan so I can move into this new property, and get away from family.

Who would be the best loan sharks to go with? As I know there's so many and those that are shit, like Wonga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    None of them would be the best advice. Speak to your council, there is sometimes help available for taking a private tenancy. They'd rather lend you the deposit then have you as a homeless person on their stats.
    They won't really do anything until next years in terms of the deposit. And I'm due in march so it's trying to do everyone on my own again.

They won't house me as I moved up north then back down south. So makes everything all abut arghhhhh

I think borrowing from a loan shark may make you feel a little better at first but in the long run I think it's going to cause you a lot more stress that you don't need. Try and think of the bigger picture Soph, imagine feeling more stressed at the same time as having a baby to look after. For now, I really do understand it's hard for you, but I think you need to try and stick it out where you are because you honestly will eventually find somewhere that's going to be better for you in every way possible, that won't cause you added stress. Continue to save as much money as possible, keep your eyes out/keep looking for flats and also keep talking to the council, you'll stumble across something soon enough. *hug*
    Why did you move down South? Maybe whichever council you were under in the North would be more likely to house you again?
    I tried to get the link to this in chat to you last night peapie but my laptop wasn't playing ball. It might be worth seeing what local support agencies are in your area as well as continuing to stay in touch with the council. You can search for local advice here: http://www.thesite.org/community/localadvicefinder

Loan sharks would be best avoided as others have said, it's likely to cause you a lot more hassle in the long run. Your local CAB would also be a good place for advice and you can make an appointment to chat things through with someone face to face: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/about_this_site/get_advice.htm

Let us know how you're getting on :)
    If you've been on income based benefits for at least 26 weeks, you should be able to apply for a budgeting loan.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    This page from Shelter might help with getting a deposit together: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/rent_deposit_and_bond_schemes

I know the rent in advance is a problem too. And agency fees :(

Do try and negotiate if you're getting charged fees - they don't really do anything for them! I saw a flat yesterday and they wanted £360 to do two reference and credit checks and a contract, which probably takes them about half an hour.
    Melian wrote: »
    If you've been on income based benefits for at least 26 weeks, you should be able to apply for a budgeting loan.

Budgeting loans are small sums of money normally no more than £250 from what I've been told!
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Without knowing all your details peapie I'm afraid this is a little hard, but I just wanted to say loan sharks are definitely not the way to go.

IF you have an income of some kind, work out how much you could afford on repayments and there may well be someone willing to lend to you. As Whowhere says, your bank is the place to start. Amigo Loans etc are very very high rates, but for some people they are the right option if you need the money and can afford the repayments. But affordability is the absolute key - if you're not sure I really would agree with others to just try and save the spare cash and wait, which I know is easier said than done.

I'd also completely support Jo's suggestion of Citizen's Advice Bureau, they really are good.
    Soph I totally get your position, as I know the details. When I was literally on the streets I looked at loansharks etc as I was willing to do anything to get a flat etc but the truth is they won't even consider you usually due to repayments being so high. They get you into so much crap and they're totally not worth it. I know it's all a bit up in the air with councils etc but don't give up. They make things so difficult and it is long winded but it's worth the fight. It's taken me years to get to where I am and i'm still not where I need to be but it's worth it. I know you don't have years I appreciate that, but there's options. I totally advise the CAB too - they're usually quite helpful. Also, it's worth speaking to your Midwife and see if they have any recommendations. I know home isn't ideal for you at all, but stick it out for now. It'll be worth it in the long run *hug*
    Thank you everyone for you're really helpful replies! I moved down south because my ex was violent. And to protect my self and baby. But he knows where I live ATM and I'm desperate to move out, to why the loan so deposit wouldn't be so hard to get!

Have you actually said that to the council? I know you don't want to go into a women's shelter because you think they'll take your baby away but they won't unless there is any danger to the child which there wouldn't be in a shelter and you're more likely to get help there
    Yeah the council know everything and to why I moved away! It's like, I feel they'd rather people I a lode of debt and homeless then actually help the ones that are in need! I've thought about it but I think it's the fact of strangers etc x