Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's it like starting work for the first time?

'Alexandra''Alexandra' Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
Starting work for the first time after what may feel like forever in school can feel a bit weird or even challenging. There are sometimes lots of unknowns about the job world, not matter how well school has tried to prepare you for it.

I know when I got my first job I spent about 2 hours getting ready in the morning (normally only takes me 15 minutes MAX) trying to figure out the perfect outfit - let alone trying to figure out how I was going to afford it with only just starting work and all my other bills. It took me a long time to figure out my work dress style (I don't know if I've even mastered it yet), but now I'm back to my 15 minute routine.

What were some of the things that you thought were different or challenging when you first started working? Or if if you're still in school, what are you most nervous about for starting work?

Comments

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Great post so I'll help us kick off :)

One of the most challenging things I think is just feeling very overwhelmed by everything you need to learn, I remember feeling "new" for absolutely ages! My big tip is simply to ask for help - people won't judge you - and there is no such thing as a stupid question. It's much better to ask your questions and get your confidence up, and otherwise you will probably just slow down how quickly you get your head round things.

My other tip is to try and shed that "new" feeling as soon as you can - I called myself "new" for far too long and actually once I told myself to stop doing that I was immediately loads more confident :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi :wave:

I know when I first got a job, I was petrified! It was like re-living my first day of school (I can still remember both these days!)

However; there's lots of fun things too! Everything may seem scary and overwhelming, but actually when you look at it, these things can be fun :yes:

These are some of the things I found challenging/things i'd say are vital when starting work for the first time!!

+ Be Organised - This for me being OCD is something I found easy, but it's crucial. From simple things like making your lunch the night before to planning your journey (knowing your route, bus times etc) which leads nicely on to...

+ Be on time! - Vital in so many ways! It's okay to be early (not toooo early) but not okay to be late :no:

+ It's okay to ask questions - Yep, it is! You don't know if you don't ask, is what they say. No question is a stupid question and you won't be in trouble for not knowing. You're new to this remember, so do ask. (If it's a year down the line and you're still asking the same question, that's a different matter!)

and finally...

+ "Don't Worry, Be Happy" - (you're totally singing this now ;) aha!) but seriously, the more you worry, the less you'll enjoy it, and starting a job should be enjoyable! Honest!
    Agree about asking questions, just go for it, it's better to ask than to sit there twiddling your thumbs wondering if you're doing the right thing.

Sleep! Make sure you get plenty of down time and rest in the first week or two. I found I was taking on so much new information and just being in a new situation is really exhausting mentally and physically so expect to feel knackered.

You soon get used to the routine though :)
    Does voleeteering class too
    *Heather* wrote: »
    Does voleeteering class too

Sure, first day of a volunteering role can have lots of similar worries and experiences!
    I agree with Jo - Volunteering does share a lot of similar experiences! I know for me, I treat all of my volunteering roles just like I would a paid job!
    I did lods of voleeteering at a farm charity shops. It was really fun I loved it :)

Farm
    ?Mucked out,
    ?groomed the horses,
    ? collected the eggs from the chickens.
    ? brought the horses in
    ? help feed them
    ? repered the food

Charity shops
    ?sort out the clothes put them out what will sell, and ones wont if they got a rip etc
    ? answered the phone
    ? severed custmers
    ? count money at the end of the day
    ? labaling
    ? take clothes off thats been on there for a while and not solded

I Lernered a lot while I do it, bulied lots of comdaces, made new freinds, it was fun
    I am new to the "worjing world"but so far so so good.Its tiring but great at the same time.I still feel pretty nervous and worried etc about it but ill get all settled one day xx
    I agree with what everyone has already said so won't repeat. But I would add that I wouldn't worry much about what outfit you are going to wear everyday. When I first started work I wanted to wear a new outfit everyday (normally same clothes but worn differently) as I thought wearing the same thing twice was a sin. However I soon learnt that nobody cared what I wore as long as I was smart/clean etc. Now I have a few key outfits and it makes getting ready so much quicker!