Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to lose weight on a budget?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not earning right now and there's a possibility that I might lose more of my benefits at some point over the next year or so and I need to lose a lot of weight! 25kg at least, to get me into the healthy weight range for my height. But, I can't really afford a gym membership, I'm on a pretty tight budget for food and MrRiot is a very fussy eater! So I have an exercise ball and a yoga mat at home and a couple of exercise DVDs but I'm really not sure of that's going to get it. I know what I should be eating, portion sizes are a little difficult, but also working within my pain and mobility is always going to be really difficult. So it's probably going to take me longer than 6 months to do, but I'm hoping that I can do it within a year.

So any tips, ideas about how to make exercise at home better, how to get portion control or any apps that might help would be hugely welcome!!!

Comments

• Options
    You could always make yourself a kind of timetable of when and where you will be and using the equipment you have for exercising.And in terms of food,you could do something similar.You can do it!

Anyways,how have you been?
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Did you check out the council gyms near you? They often have really cheap deals for local residents on benefits. Otherwise, anything that gets your heart rate up is going to burn more calories. Is there any cardiovascular exercise that feels OK (cycling, swimming, walking ...).

There's various free calorie counting apps like MyFitnessPal, I know a few people who've discovered some useful things on there, and it can really help to monitor what you eat and know when you're on track.

Also, some foods fill you up a lot more than others, making portion sizes less of an issue. So stuff like whole grains, beans and lentils are quite hard to over-eat badly on.
  • Options
    Most of weight loss is about appropriate diet. If you eat properly you'll lose the weight.
  • Options
    My fitness pal is a good app. Very easy to use. 6 months is a pretty ambitious target, I believe 0.5 kg / week is considered a sensible target for manageable, maintainable weight loss.
  • Options
    I eat a really good diet most of the time, very little processed stuff but I can't walk more than about 20 meters before it really hurts! Cycling is out of the question because of my balance and the pain in my legs, swimming might be ok but the last couple of times I've been I've fainted and ended up in hospital. I guess the things that don't hurt me like yoga and stuff aren't really going to get my heart rate up...so I'm probably just going to have to deal with the pain in order to lose the weight which will help with lowering the pain levels. Strange ways our bodies work!!