Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mum hospitalised with bipolar disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

My mum has severe bipolar disorder and has just been placed in the care of a psychiatric hospital. I've been to visit her regularly and the care she's receiving seems really good, but her condition seems to be getting worse and worse and I'm worried that she may never get better :no: Any hugs or advice from people in a similar boat would be appreciated. Does everyone get worse before they get better?

Also another things that's on my mind is that the unit she's in is separated from the main hospital building, i.e. it's a modular building like this and I'm wondering if they are as warm as normal buildings - does anyone know? I've asked my mum and she says the temperature is fine but she's not exactly giving rational responses right now...

Thanks,
Daisy xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey dasiy

Well done for posting. I am sorry to hear about ur mym . people say that thy get worse to get better. which is true.
    My dad is Bipolar and my mum has been diagnosed with manic depression recently, so I know what you're going through.

I can safely say that things do get better, both of my parents were/are put on courses of therapy and medication and they are getting better. It was difficult for them and me to get through, but we were there to help each other.
    So as long as you help your mum and be there for her whenever she needs you, it'll be okay.

I'm always around if you wanna drop a message and I'll happily talk with you :)
    Hi Daisy-belle and welcome to TheSite :wave:

Really glad that you've found us so you can get some ongoing support during this tough time. I'm not sure there's any common rules in terms of recovery as everyone's journey is different but depending on what treatment she's having it may be that it's quite challenging for her and in a sense things can feel worse and more all over the place before they start to come back together again.

As you can hear from Haych's experience things can get better, thanks for sharing! It's really kind to offer to chat via PM too Haych although don't forget that if you talk here then lots of other people reading can benefit from the advice and experiences that you're sharing :)

Have you heard of Bipolar UK? They have an online community for anyone affected by bipolar and you may find that helpful to connect with other young people in a similar situation to you as well. Here's the link: http://www.bipolaruk.org.uk/e-community/

What sort of support have you got in place for yourself? Do you have any other family or close friends that you can confide in?

In terms of the modular building, I'm not sure, but if it's a health facility then it's likely it will have to meet certain standards and that it will be warm for your mum there. Perhaps you might be able to ask to chat to one of the staff there to answer any questions you have about the accommodation she's in?

Let us know how you're getting on *hug*
    Yes! Loads of people can help too ^^

Let us know how things go, we'll all be here to listen :)
    Thank you for your really kind responses, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now and not so alone.

I'm quite relieved to hear that you guys have also experienced your loved ones getting worse before they get better - it gives me hope that my mum will get better <3 She seemed a little better when I saw her yesterday.

I'd not heard of Bipolar UK, thank you for letting me know about them :)

And I will ask the staff there, they should know :)

Thank you all <3

Daisy xxx
    Thank you for your really kind responses, I'm feeling a bit optimistic now and not so alone.

I'm quite relieved to hear that you guys have also experienced your loved ones getting worse before they get better - it gives me hope that my mum will get better <3 She seemed a little better when I saw her yesterday.

Thank you all <3

Daisy xxx

Ull never be alone you got is lovey lot :) by ur side to support u and advise u to get u threw it and help ur mum too

Glad she a lot better today hope she fever more fingers crossed

Keep us posted
    Thank you for your really kind responses, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now and not so alone.

Thank you all <3

Daisy xxx

Really glad to hear you're feeling a little better Daisy, let us know how you get on :)