Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to meet new people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It's that time of year again! Students all over the country are heading off to university, and with that comes the challenge of Fresher's Week. Moving to a new town, or even a new country, is a very daunting experience for most people, and the extra pressure is added when it comes to meeting new people!

And that's where you come in.

We would love it if you could share any tips that you've gained over the years (whether you've been to university or not!) about how students can go about meeting new people and making new friends as they transition into the next portion of their lives.

For example, a good way to meet new people at university is to get to know the people on your course with you! If you're studying the same subject, chances are you share one or two similar interests, and it could be great to get to know the people who will be sharing your experiences for the next few years! It might seem scary to talk to the complete stranger sat next to you, but chances are they're feeling the same way you are and would be happy to have a new friend :)

Thanks for your help!

As a sidenote, if you're looking for tips yourself the site has got a good article here (http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/student-life/freshers-week-fears-1501.html) that might be useful to you! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    When I was at uni I got a part-time job which mean I wasn't only reliant on college to make friends, I would also socialize with people who worked full-time and got to see another side to the town I lived in :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know I rabbit on about it... but volunteering! It's a good way to meet people of all ages who 1) may share similar interests and 2) give a damn about the world (<-- which is always a good feature of potential friends).
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I know students at my Uni got to meet on Facebook groups, and find out whom they were living with, and who was on their course, and stuff which lead to quite a few people socializing, and getting to know people, it's how me and my roommates got in contact. But they have so many social groups you can join at University, always worth joining them, another great way to meet people, and yes, obviously Yellow's suggestion on meeting people through volunteering, I would love to give over see's volunteering ago sometime, because there are so many benefits to it!!

Freshers week was the best when it came to meeting people too, I really got myself out there, and even though I had found that I needed to push myself to talk and communicate with people, it was okay, because you're in an informal environment, with like another 6-7 people in a group. As well as pre-drinks were always in our flat, so we bonded over card games, etc! But yes, I have friends, well I think I do -Claps to self- I haven't shown them all my weird side yet, that's probably why were friends at the moment xD
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    I found new clubs and societies were a great way to meet new people - often at least a few of you are newbies together so you're all in the same boat and can have a good laugh about it :)

I still find the same works now long after Uni, whether it's a book club, fitness class or something completely random, it means you all already have something in common.