Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The 9 Biggest Myths About 'Happy' Couples

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
The Huffington Post recently published an article entitled “The 9 Biggest Myths About 'Happy' Couples”. I don’t think they were selected in any scientific way, but it makes an interesting and quick read.

I thought it would be nice to collect a list of our own.

So, please add a myth about happy couples below – maybe one you hear a lot, or that bothers you, or even that you sometimes feel is true even when you know it’s not. And as always, feel free to discuss them, make more suggestions, agree and disagree with other suggestions.

Here’s one from me to start with: “Happy couples know they’re right for each other from the moment they meet. “

Comments

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Happy couples always share every part of their life together.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Happy couples never argue.
    Happy couples have loads and loads in common!!
    Happy couples stay together forever.
    Happy couples are happy all the time
    Happy couples never wonder if they've made the right choice.
    Happy couples have no relationship issues, they post their entire lives on Facebook, showcasing their perfect relationship. :sour:
    happy couples know the true meaning of happy ever after, it occurs everyday.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    That's a great list, thanks everyone :) The article I linked to lists a set of myths, and underneath it has a section called "reality", which gives a more realistic point of view. So, for example, in response to the myth peapie points out:
    *peapie* wrote: »
    Happy couples never argue.

"Reality" might be: If you spend a lot of time with a person, you're bound to have disagreements some of the time. When you feel strongly about a person, then emotions run higher, and this can spill over into arguments. While arguments can be painful, they can have a really positive value in relationships. They allow us to get feelings out (which helps to make them less painful), and also give space to work forwards on problems as a couple, which can improve situations and make us feel closer.

Can anyone help with adding some "reality" to the rest of these myths?

Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Happy couples always share every part of their life together.
    Tamsinjo wrote: »
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Happy couples are happy all the time
    Emily2TS wrote: »
    Happy couples never wonder if they've made the right choice.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Happy couples have no relationship issues, they post their entire lives on Facebook, showcasing their perfect relationship. :sour:
    TryHart wrote: »
    happy couples know the true meaning of happy ever after, it occurs everyday.
    I shall give this a try :) I'm going to use Tamsin's myth instead of mine though (hope that's okay!)

Reality - I do think it's important for couples to have a few things in common but I think it's a lot more important for them not to. One reason being that they get that separate time to do what they love on their own or with their own friends as that time away from your partner is certainly vital and makes you appreciate each other more. Another reason is that not having much in common means you can continue to learn so much more about your partner throughout the relationship. Also, I quite like the idea of each persons differences fitting together to make like one whole complete.. Y'know!

I have a feeling I've got that totes wrong but oh well :d
    I have a feeling I've got that totes wrong but oh well :d

Not at all, that was exactly what I was hoping for :)
    Ha, ok I'm going to have a go at Butterfly123's comment (no worries on using mine :0 )

Ok, well - in reality, people go through ups and downs in their relationship. No relationship is perfect, and everyone has rough patches, but it all depends on what the couple project, or how much they want to tell you, about what's really going on between them. It's so easy to fall into the trap of happily every after - if you are happy with someone, what can go wrong? But I think like throws curve balls and can cause some issues here and there - that can make things hard for couples. People often take breaks from each other, this doesn't mean they aren't happy - but are trying to step back from the relationship to gain some clarity and perspective - which can be hard to do, if for example, you live together or spend a lot of time together. Sometimes couples break up and end up getting back together further down the line. Couples that stay together sometimes aren't happy at all, but they are staying together for other reasons - family/financial - or because they have simply got used to each other and don't want to move out of their comfort zone - are they happy though? Hope this is what you were after Danny :)
    Hope this is what you were after Danny :)

That's great :) Those myths are all quite widespread. We don't always challenge those thoughts. So, it's really good to go through and look at why they might not be true. And when we unpack those myths, they also tell us a lot about how we see relationships in general.

5 to go!