Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GCSEs can i cope? i have no idea

ravenclawdashravenclawdash Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
i cant cope anymore with school,and evrything to do with it. im doing gcse exams soon, im trying to do my best but i cant. ive asked for help and schools pretty much said no.

i cant cope at all and i dont want to go in becuase i feel like im just going to panic under the pressure ether, so that doesnt help.

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there Raven,

GCSE's can be a really difficult time for anyone, especially if you're battling more than your exams in the moment. But you've taken positive steps to ensuring you get support, by reaching out to school. What did school suggest when reaching out to them? Is there a way you can attend after school clubs? Or even come in during Lunch or Break and go over some off the material you're struggling with, or even collecting a bunch of pass papers.

I struggled an awful lot when I had taken my GCSE's - and I know it's difficult, but you have to reassure yourself, because putting yourself down over it is going to stress you out more as well as letting the anxiety of the exam build. By reassuring yourself, you calm yourself down, and take the issue head on. Because you've gotten this far, and you can keep going.

How have you coped with exams in the passed? Does your school have support from mentors, or learning support staff, etc, at all?
  • Options
    Hey there Raven,

GCSE's can be a really difficult time for anyone, especially if you're battling more than your exams in the moment. But you've taken positive steps to ensuring you get support, by reaching out to school. What did school suggest when reaching out to them? Is there a way you can attend after school clubs? Or even come in during Lunch or Break and go over some off the material you're struggling with, or even collecting a bunch of pass papers.

I struggled an awful lot when I had taken my GCSE's - and I know it's difficult, but you have to reassure yourself, because putting yourself down over it is going to stress you out more as well as letting the anxiety of the exam build. By reassuring yourself, you calm yourself down, and take the issue head on. Because you've gotten this far, and you can keep going.

How have you coped with exams in the passed? Does your school have support from mentors, or learning support staff, etc, at all?

i told the school and they pretty much told me to fuck off.

im terrible with exams, and i kno im going to fail most of them. i dont know why im trying at this point.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi raven,

As Whispers says, reaching out to your school - whether that's a tutor you trust or a school counsellor or nurse - is the best first step that you can take. Can you tell us a bit more about what happened when you spoke to someone at school - who was it and what did they say exactly? The more we can understand the situation the better we can help you to work on your next steps. Going to them with some ideas/options for what you feel might help you (perhaps some of Whispers' ideas above^^) might help them to have a better idea of what you need.

You're certainly not alone in finding this a stressful time and it's important to take some time out to have a break from these worries - after school clubs, doing things that make you feel happy and relaxed will help you to cope. What sort of things do you do in your free time?

When it comes to being in the exam room itself - what is it that you find hard? I'm sure others here can pass on some tips on how to prepare yourself if you think that might help?

There's also some good advice on the No More Panic site including statements you can tell yourself that help you to prepare for stressful situations as well as deal with panic in the moment: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hi raven,

As Whispers says, reaching out to your school - whether that's a tutor you trust or a school counsellor or nurse - is the best first step that you can take. Can you tell us a bit more about what happened when you spoke to someone at school - who was it and what did they say exactly? The more we can understand the situation the better we can help you to work on your next steps. Going to them with some ideas/options for what you feel might help you (perhaps some of Whispers' ideas above^^) might help them to have a better idea of what you need.

You're certainly not alone in finding this a stressful time and it's important to take some time out to have a break from these worries - after school clubs, doing things that make you feel happy and relaxed will help you to cope. What sort of things do you do in your free time?

When it comes to being in the exam room itself - what is it that you find hard? I'm sure others here can pass on some tips on how to prepare yourself if you think that might help?

There's also some good advice on the No More Panic site including statements you can tell yourself that help you to prepare for stressful situations as well as deal with panic in the moment: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping

i dont exactauly have much free time atm becuase of all i need to do.

i dont know why i anic in the exam room.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I know how hard GCSEs are and how stressful they can be, however I just want to throw something out there.

I've found that if I stress a lot and don't take breaks I end up a lot more exhausted and panicky rather than if I had taken a break. I used to think that taking a break was bad - but honestly I feel a lot more able to cope with things and am able to concentrate better after a break.

What about taking an hour out to just do something that you enjoy that isn't school related?

When I get into exam rooms and panic, I normally find it is because I am overwhelmed by the situation and everything that I have to do. Is that something you could relate to?

I get around this by not even opening the exam paper straight away but shutting my eyes and taking a few deep breaths, trying to clear my mind and then opening the paper. This way I break down the situation into the different scary stressful parts and it doesn't panic me as much. Would that be worth a try?
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    I know how hard GCSEs are and how stressful they can be, however I just want to throw something out there.

I've found that if I stress a lot and don't take breaks I end up a lot more exhausted and panicky rather than if I had taken a break. I used to think that taking a break was bad - but honestly I feel a lot more able to cope with things and am able to concentrate better after a break.

What about taking an hour out to just do something that you enjoy that isn't school related?

When I get into exam rooms and panic, I normally find it is because I am overwhelmed by the situation and everything that I have to do. Is that something you could relate to?

I get around this by not even opening the exam paper straight away but shutting my eyes and taking a few deep breaths, trying to clear my mind and then opening the paper. This way I break down the situation into the different scary stressful parts and it doesn't panic me as much. Would that be worth a try?

I have so many things to do taking a break isnt an opsion.

i cant delay myself in exams becuase even with my extra time i find it hard to finish them on time.