Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice Maybe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi.

Yeah I'm new but I just want to post here as I feel real deeply about addiction especially alcohol.

I'm an alcoholic and was diagnosed at the tender age of 14 back in 2004, when I lost my Nan to Alzhiemers Disease and cancer. For anyone that thinks they may have a problem with drink please, please seek help because once your addicted to alcohol it will ruin your life, relationships with family and friends. Alcohol tortures you both mentally and physically once it has got a hold on you that's it and I believe it's just as addictive as heroin and crack. You'll know once your really addicted because when you need a drink, you NEED a drink, you will shake, sweat, dry wretch and be very agitated. Alcohol will make you steal and lie. So if your sitting here reading this now and you think you may have a problem, seriously seek help because once alcohol has you in it's grasps that's it. Alcohol ruined my schooling, I left school with fuck all no CV, no work experience, no qualifications it's all up there but don't have it down on paper. It's had a severe impact on my physical and mental health. I was drinking a fatal amount as doctors put it when I lost my Nan, I had to grow up quick. I'm still drinking but no as much as I was. Now aged 24, 7 years after leaving school I've finally started to do something as hard as it may be. I'm volunteering at a drop in centre for vulnerable and homeless adults with addictions which I enjoy doing and the staff there are getting me on courses that will be of good use in the future. Help is out there if you need it and if you don't know where to go, go to your GP or ask one of the staff on here, just don't let alcohol get you, because it will in the end :-(.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi.

Yeah I'm new but I just want to post here as I feel real deeply about addiction especially alcohol.

I'm an alcoholic and was diagnosed at the tender age of 14 back in 2004, when I lost my Nan to Alzhiemers Disease and cancer. For anyone that thinks they may have a problem with drink please, please seek help because once your addicted to alcohol it will ruin your life, relationships with family and friends. Alcohol tortures you both mentally and physically once it has got a hold on you that's it and I believe it's just as addictive as heroin and crack. You'll know once your really addicted because when you need a drink, you NEED a drink, you will shake, sweat, dry wretch and be very agitated. Alcohol will make you steal and lie. So if your sitting here reading this now and you think you may have a problem, seriously seek help because once alcohol has you in it's grasps that's it. Alcohol ruined my schooling, I left school with fuck all no CV, no work experience, no qualifications it's all up there but don't have it down on paper. It's had a severe impact on my physical and mental health. I was drinking a fatal amount as doctors put it when I lost my Nan, I had to grow up quick. I'm still drinking but no as much as I was. Now aged 24, 7 years after leaving school I've finally started to do something as hard as it may be. I'm volunteering at a drop in centre for vulnerable and homeless adults with addictions which I enjoy doing and the staff there are getting me on courses that will be of good use in the future. Help is out there if you need it and if you don't know where to go, go to your GP or ask one of the staff on here, just don't let alcohol get you, because it will in the end :-(.

Touching story... thanks for sharing. :)

It's great that you've got to a point where you can help yourself with it all, however long it's taken; credit where it's due. How do you feel about your situation at the moment? :)
    Hi MikeS, thank you. I still have my problems you know both with the drink and my mental health and I do have bad days, so when I do have a good day it's nice. I feel I've done extremely well, yeah ok I'm still drinking a lot in 'health professionals eyes' but from what I was drinking to now I think I have done really, really well. Without the help and support of different agencies though I'd either be dead or locked up long before now, so you know that's why I said if anyone feels they need support with their drink or thinks they have a problem to seek help because it grinds you down man.
    I hear you, Starlight. All I can say is seriously well done for coming so far. Even if you are still drinking a lot in a health professional's eyes, you've made massive progress on a personal level and that's what counts. You're definitely in the right place if you're looking for a bit of extra help, though. :yes: It's great too that you've been supported really well by various agencies - a lot of people shy away from them or have been turned off by a bad experience. Nice to see that they really can work well with people! All the best for the future and hopefully see you around. :)
    Thank you, means alot! :-)
    Hi.

Yeah, I hear you there.

I was addicted to alcohol eight years ago. I can't say I was at the physical stage where I had the shakes if I couldn't get any, but I'd crave the stuff something awful. I'd even steal to get my fix if money was nearby for a quick swipe and no-one was looking. I can honestly say I was drinking about three quarters of a 70cl bottle of vodka per day, and going to work, and still surviving! I'm not quite sure how I did it to be honest.

The final straw came when I was sacked from my job for going on a three day binge whilst telling my bosses that I was unwell and couldn't manage to come in - so I was booted out the door with nothing. That was the final straw, when I couldn't make the bills anymore, couldn't afford the drink.

It's not easy walking away from the drink but it's quite surprising what can happen once you do. You see, I had been hardcore drinking from the age of 14, like you, and after about six months of pure sobriety my brain started to kick in gear again and it started to feel as if I had been in one long horrible dream for 12 years. The worst part? That I hadn't aged since then. My mental capacity, language skills, motor skills, personal skills, social skills were all that of a 14 year old. I was quite young. You see, alcohol apparently shrinks the brain if you go on too much binge drinking - I'm living proof!

All is not lost though. I mean I'm 8 years into my non-alcohol world, haven't been in a pub since I finished. I have a lovely family now, wife and child. I work in a management position at work, I have tons of hobbies and I love my life. Best of all, my brain repaired itself through my passion for learning - once it began to grow I found that the world is an absolutely fascinating place of opportunity and wonder. I'd say I am very intelligent now and that is because it's not hindered by the blurriness from a hard night out the day before. You'll get there my friend, you will, and you'll wonder why you even started in the first place.

If I have any advice to you it would be stick in there because things get better from here. You have already made the first step. You will probably realise that your current friend circle will be a very negative and un-supportive place to be , well, that's what I found anyway. I ditched all my previous friend circles and surrounded myself with positive role models, those that supported me and reinforce the good that resides within me. Avoid places like Alcoholics Anonymous like the plague unless you're deeply religious, then it's fine. I'm not religious and there was too much religion forced upon me from there. I decided to freestyle it and I did very well for myself.

Lastly, and most importantly.. stop hating yourself. Most of us do. That one or few things that you try to blot out through any means necessary - go talk to someone. Go see a non-judgemental third party like a counsellor - they work wonders for the internal turmoil inside. You'll finally realise that you're a beautiful creation put onto this earth and that your uniqueness will shine through to other people like a Ray of light.

You my friend are awesome, keep up the good work!

I admire you.

:)
    Hello. Well done you on 8 years of sobriety! :-). I've always hated myself mate. You keep up the good work!