Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wanting to drop out of college.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all :wave:

I'm unsure if this is in the correct place, if not, feel free to move it whereever.

Ok, so I'm a second year student at college, currently undertaking 15 units on my final year (Rest of college class are only doing 10) I passed my first year with D*DD according to my tutors. I'm in college three days a week and in placement in a private daycare two days a week (rest of class are only in one day a week)

Over the past few weeks the urge to drop out of my course has grown bigger, it started of as just a little thought at the start of September when I went back. Now it's just getting bigger and it won't shut up.

The more assignments, coursework and deadlines that are given to me, the more stressed and panicky I get over them. We have all been given our first date for our first observation which I'm super scared about.

I had the start of year review with my personal tutor today (Elaine) I told Elaine that I was thinking about dropping out and that everything was getting on top of me, the fact I've spent most nights in tears over coursework and stuff, just to like see what she would say/offer. She said I would be stupid to drop out at this stage, when I'm so close to the end. She said she would email my other tutors and see what they have to say about it.

I know if I was to drop out I would regret it, all I want to do is work with little humans. But all this work is making that seam impossible.

All I guess I was really wondering was like if anyone else has kinda felt a little like this?

Thanks and sorry in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. I felt like this at the start of this year. Must be an a2 thing? But your tutor is right. You've managed to get this far so that shows great strength. This academic year will soon fly by and before you know it you will be getting more awesome grades just as you did at the end of last year 😊
    Do you want to work in a nursery then? Is that the career path you're heading for?

Sent by Sony Xperia
    The thing that got me thinking was, it's only September.. What am I going to be like in a few weeks time, or even a few months, when it all get's serious?

I've got to speak to Elaine tomarrow about it all again, I think she thinks I'm gonna change my mind. Like I know deepdown if I drop out I'll wish I never did. But at the moment I'm just not coping with it all.. I've been reduced to tears over my unit 4 (placement paperwork) I can't cope with the simple little things anymore.

Part of me want's to go to uni and do primary education (teaching) but if I'm struggling with college what chance would I have with uni? I've pretty much put the idea of uni out of my head. I've been looking into jobs all over the world like with being a nanny and that, so I guess that's the plan for me.
    I know it seems scary to think about the pressures you may be under in a few months but it's also really important to think about the here and now.

Elaine sounds really supportive. Have you managed to open up to her about how you feel the course has been going? If you're really struggling with any aspect of your studying then the college should offer you some support. They want you to do the best you can do because they want you to achieve in life - just like I know you will 😊

Maybe don't concentrate on uni just yet if its stressing you out a bit. For now try to focus on getting some support at college from Elaine and your subject teachers

Sent by Sony Xperia
    Elaine is lovely, she knows I'm struggling to keep up with it.. But I don't think she knows how bad it is. I. Just I don't know what to do. Sorry.
    How would you feel about talking to her a bit more about it. She will be about to find you someone to help you

Sent by Sony Xperia
    If I stay, I should have my National Diploma by June. But I just don't know at the moment if I'm ever gonna get there. I hada a meeting with Elaine and the other tutors there, pretty much told them how much I was struggling already, they are gonna have weekly meetings with me to ensure I don't fall to far behind. They all said I would be stupid to drop out. So I still don't know. Sorry.
    Is dropping out now an option and doing the second year next year an option?
    Naa, I asked that today, the course has changed for this year, so there's a new set out and everything, as we are still on the old one it don't affect us. But dropping out now is not an option cause I'll have to resit first year again. Sorry.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You definitely won't get there if you drop out Suzy. At least if you stick with it there is a chance (and probably a much better one than you think to be honest) you will get your diploma

STill want to drop out... Like i knew the second year would be hard but I never thought it would be this hard. The workload is so hard, trying to keep up with it all is proving to be super stressful. I told my tutor about it and she just told me to see how I feel in a few days time. I know I would regret dropping out, bur at the same tome I just cant cope. My own mental health is starting to suffer even more. Part of me wants to keep going for everyone that said I would go nowhere in life. I want to do it for my nana and make her proud of me fir a change. But I just don't know.
    Hi there SuzyOwl
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time at College at the moment.
    I know the jump to A Levels can be hard - so much more is expected of you.
    You say that the workload is hard. Is this something you can talk to your tutor about and come up with a plan that will work for you? I know from my own experience that knowing I had loads of work to do for different subjects was stressful.
    Perhaps you can break it down into manageable chunks and then come up with a study timetable. This is so you only have to focus on one thing at a time and you know in your mind that you've made a timetable so you know you can fit it all in. You could also discuss this with each of your subject teachers and let them know your plan.
    Make sure you include lots of relaxation time in your plan.
    I think it would be such a shame to drop out now after you've worked so hard to get here.
    :)
    Hi L1ttleOne,

I've already done my aleves so I know kind of what to expect with the workload and just how hard it was going to be. I'e talked to my tutor about it and told her that I was struggling to cope with it all, she just told me to try my best and get everything done on time. This year I've got 15 different units, and one of my tutors is off ill at the moment which is effecting us, cause well we don't know how to do the work, which is due for handing in, in a few weeks.

At the moment I'm trying to do this years work, along side units that the tutors never marked our coursework in time for so we have to do all the corrections this year. Just trying to balance it all is really hard. But as the day's go on the urges to drop out are becoming stronger and I just don't know what to do, I want to just drop out, just forget I even attempted the Diploma, but I want to make everyone proud of me for a change, it's almost like I'm stuck between the two.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Don't do things like that for other people, you're massively increasing the stress you're under. Do it for yourself.

If I was to do it for myself I'd not do it. People have always said id go nowhere so I guess they are right this time.

I've knocked the idea of uni out of my head, I cant do college so I stand no chance at uni.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi SuzyOwl,

I realise this thread is a little old now but I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing?