Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling anxious after confiding in a colleague

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is my first post.

I've been off work for awhile not well and just made it back which is.good and I
Know I'm doing well but ......

I was talking to a colleague and she was telling me stuff as she'd split with her boyfriend and I told her personal information that I now regret, did people overhear, what if my hubby hears about what I said!!!!!

I've trusted colleagues that acted like friends before and it completely backfired, they contacted my husband and told him.

Why did I do it, I've just gone back and this was meant to be a new start. Now I just want to quit and run..., feeling suicidal too.

I'm so scared and feel so stupid, thought I was much better but one person shows kindness and I tell them stuff, why can't I control that and learn not too.

I dont know what to do and where to turn. Panicked that it won't be kept with person I told and that others overheard, I'm so stupid and I don't feel like I can do this anymore ;o(

Comments

• Options
    Hi Boggeddown :wave:

Firstly welcome to the boards :)

I'm sorry you are feeling that way especially when you feel you are making a new start *hug*

Sometimes we let things slip out to our colleagues due to them sharing their own stories so we trust them in telling our own story and there is nothing wrong in that. It can be easier to tell a colleague something than a close friend thinking they won't say anything to someone else. I've done it before where I have told a colleague something then thought about it afterwards thinking should I have done that so I understand where you are coming from.

Do you think you can go back to your colleague and tell them how you feel about what you shared with them and to make sure they won't tell anybody else about it?

Don't beat yourself up about it as you felt you could share with that person and we all do that including the colleague who told you her story of splitting up with her boyfriend :heart:

Let us know how you are.

purple_rain
  • Options
    Feeling bit better

Thank you so much for your reply, it has really helped.

I told colleague that I didn't want anyone to know and how I trusted another and they told on me, so I don't think she would tell anyone anyway. It was just a strong feeling I shouldn't say anything as I'd been burned before but talking to her helped and she has gone through something similar to me on a smaller scale. :) and people have told on her so she knows how that feels, she also knows why I was off for 4 1/2 months so think she would be nothing but supportive.

I was off with chronic depression with panic attacks/anxiety, this was due to break down of relationship with husband and problems at work!!

I have now left hubby and have a place of my own while we have trial separation, it's really tough and I feel so guilty about us not being a family :(

The last two years have been a nightmare and I had a complete mental, physical and emotional breakdown.

Don't really know how to keep going even though I'm getting stronger it's so hard.