Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Webcam problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have a laptop with a built in camera which I've had for a little while now. I've never before had any problems with it until the other day, I went to Skype with my friend and she couldn't see or hear me. I went into settings on skype and it said no camera connected, so I went on to the actual camera on my laptop and it says connect a camera. So I searched on google and found many different suggestions to fix it but none of them have worked. Does anyone know what I need to do? I can't find an actual setting that says turn camera on/off so I don't understand why it's not working.

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Try right-clicking on Computer (usually in your Start menu), pick Manage, and from the new window go to Device Manager. Can you see your camera listed in there?

If yes, it may be disabled. Can you right-click on it and Enable?

If it's not there at all, you may have to check the BIOS settings, although I can't imagine you disabled it from there by mistake. That's by pressing a button when the computer starts, usually Delete or F12. I couldn't lead you to the setting as it depends on your computer.

If that doesn't help either, it sounds like a hardware failure...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope I've checked device manager numerous times and it doesn't even come up when I put it in the search engine on my computer. Have also checked BIOS settings, have checked drivers, done absolutely everything I can think of. It's saying everything is completely up to date. Must be a hardware failure then :(
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    If you know somebody who is happy tearing down laptops and PC's then a new camera really isn't expensive.
    Weekender Offender