Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to cope in a mental health crisis: Expert chat, Wed 17th Sept 6.45 - 8pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

On Wednesday 17th September from 6.45 - 8pm we'll be joined in the chat room by Kat Cormack. Kat will be sharing some resources and info around what a crisis plan is and how to make one and also answering your questions about coping in a crisis.

What might a mental health crisis look like?
Panic attacks or extreme anxiety
Losing your sense of reality (e.g. hearing voices)
Feeling irrational or out of control to the extent that you may put yourself in danger
Self-neglect - not eating or drinking

You may have experienced an episode like this in the past and want to be better prepared for next time you feel yourself spiraling or you may want to learn how you can support a friend in crisis.

Some of you will have met Kat before as she's come along to chat a few times now and is a great friend and fan of TheSite.org :yes:

A bit more about Kat...

15019856940_709075e750_q.jpg
Kat Cormack is a young person who works with mental health charities such as YoungMinds and BigWhiteWall and also worked for the NHS running the WellHappy app for young people. She now works on Buddyapp - a digital tool to support therapy services.

Kat is very open about her own struggles with mental health problems which started when she was a child. She'll be on hand to answer any of your questions and signpost you to help."

How will the chat work?
This chat will be moderated by **Helen**. She'll keep your questions in a queue so that Kat can answer them one by one. However, we also really encourage you all to chip in by sharing experiences and ideas that might be helpful.

You will be able to log in as normal on the night in the usual place: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

What if I can't make it but I have a question?
We can accept questions in advance and put them to Kat on the night, however live questions will take priority. If you have a question you'd like answered then please PM **Helen** with it.

Kat may also be able to drop into this thread after the chat to pick up any overflow if we ask her very nicely ;)

Everyone is welcome even if you're just interested to come along and watch :thumb:

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This is tonight folks :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do flashbacks come under a crisis? Stupid question I know

Sent by Sony Xperia
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    Do flashbacks come under a crisis? Stupid question I know

Sent by Sony Xperia

No, not stupid, I think flashbacks could certainly be something that lead to crisis if you feel they're out of control. Pop along and ask, you've very welcome :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    If I don't make it, here's a lousey, silly one! - How do you cope with a mental health crisis while at Uni? Because you're alone you're more likely to do irrational things, etc.

Or does the question have to be like more focussed on mental health itself?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I might be late to this because I've only just got back from London. On the bus home now.

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Yo lovely dudes, we are open :)
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Yo lovely dudes, we are open :)

Thanks for posting this Monkey - always helpful when I'm multi-tasking (and have been slow as usual!)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    It's okay..
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    If I don't make it, here's a lousey, silly one! - How do you cope with a mental health crisis while at Uni? Because you're alone you're more likely to do irrational things, etc.

Or does the question have to be like more focussed on mental health itself?

Good question, thanks - we were able to get that one in early on :)
    **helen** wrote: »
    Good question, thanks - we were able to get that one in early on :)

I know, because Butterfly posted it for me, I doubt you even gave a flying hoot anyway.
    Oh meh gerd, my posts were taken down, doesn't that kinda suck. Yet, no PM' telling me. Pah. So typical!
    Oh meh gerd, my posts were taken down, doesn't that kinda suck. Yet, no PM' telling me. Pah. So typical!

No PM because I was in the middle of modding an expert chat which I'm sure you can understand is quite a busy process. I'll be in touch on Friday.
This discussion has been closed.