Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No make up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone else seen this?

Colbie Caillat music video with a different slant on the makeup and photo shopping approach that seems to have become standard. Apart from anything else, I quite like the music.

http://m.sofeminine.co.uk/make-up/singer-colbie-caillat-takes-a-stand-against-photoshop-s557889.html

It's an attempt to send a message that you don't need to be photoshop perfect to be beautiful. Personally I think the words do a better job that the video, any one fit any other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've always said that (almost) nobody looks better with makeup on than they do without.

Anyone who feels they have to masquerade themselves all the time (note: I do say "all the time", think "going for a walk" or "going to the grocer" instead of "going out for the night") obviously has issues. The fact that a majority of women seems to fall in this category is very worrying -and that's an understatement.
  • Options
    I've always said that (almost) nobody looks better with makeup on than they do without.

Anyone who feels they have to masquerade themselves all the time (note: I do say "all the time", think "going for a walk" or "going to the grocer" instead of "going out for the night") obviously has issues. The fact that a majority of women seems to fall in this category is very worrying -and that's an understatement.
    I find this amusing.

Makeup should accentuate features so if done properly you will look "better" with it on as it's just emphasising already positive attributes.

And everyone who says that they prefer girls without makeup usually means they prefer girls with minimal makeup.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I find this amusing.

Makeup should accentuate features so if done properly you will look "better" with it on as it's just emphasising already positive attributes.

And everyone who says that they prefer girls without makeup usually means they prefer girls with minimal makeup.
    You don't have any real evidence of that but neither do I, so let's just assume that I meant "no noticeable makeup.

That wasn't my point anyway, just an opinion. The point came after, and stands on its own.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I think it's really good for someone to go a few days without makeup and to feel comfortable with someone seeing them without it. Saying that, it must be very challenging thing to do. Personally, I find it highly irritating when there's a big message of some star saying 'Look I'm wearing no make up!' and expect a round of applause. Firstly, because they are often very beautiful people who know they are beautiful which isn't changed much by the fact that the majority of 'no make up' shoots are with minimal/natural make up and with very good lighting, possible photoshop, and so is a little misleading and insincere too. The 'no make up' thing can be used to make people feel crap about themselves too, but in a false modesty way (whether by the stars or their management or makeup artists whatever)
  • Options
    Me being a girl likes to wear make up but not all the time. I think that not over doing us make up to make u stand out from the crowd will make u look more natural and classy to someone wearing a full amount of make up.

These days men are wearing make up to and there's nothing wrong with that. Some guys with make up can look pretty attractive. Knowing that a guy wants to emphasise his eyes and lips is something to feel ok about.

I think its fine for anyone to wear make up but just don't over do it I would say.
  • Options
    I think if people want to wear make up, or if they don't (this counts for women and men and anybody in between) then what is the issue?

The problem arises when people have expectations and judgement attached to their appearances... When they equate things like body fat, skin type, make up and so on with self-love and self-esteem.