Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Heading to College..

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey lovely people :wave:

So it's that time where people are heading to college.

This thread is basically for people to vent and share tips with others about their experiences of going to college or if you are going through that at the minute and want to get some tips or vent about things that may be worrying you.

I remember starting college and being super nervous about what to expect, and I remember worrying I wouldn't be able to cope with the work and things. But once I was there and realised that I would be fine the worries soon went away. It was a long process and a lot of studying but cos I was doing a course that I really enjoyed it made it easier, and I was with friends which helped. My best advice I could say is just enjoy it, and don't get to stressed out, and use the support of your tutor cos they will support you. :heart:

So feel free to vent, and share your tips with others and hopefully get some support from people who have or are going through this at the minute.

Sharing is caring :heart:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Starting college again on Monday, I'm not going to know anybody and I'm not very good at making friends, considering dropping out before I've even begun simply so I'm not the misfit of the course
    Omg I love college :) xx
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Starting college again on Monday, I'm not going to know anybody and I'm not very good at making friends, considering dropping out before I've even begun simply so I'm not the misfit of the course

Feeling like a misfit doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's just about connecting with your fellow misfits ;) you wont be the only one feeling nervous or shy.

We have some advice on making new friends that you might find useful: http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relationships/friendship/making-new-friends-3322.html

You could set yourself some little goals like maybe joining an after college activity or club that interests you to help you meet people?

When you say you're not very good at making friends, can you tell us a bit more about that?

Anyone else got any advice on making friends?
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Feeling like a misfit doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's just about connecting with your fellow misfits ;) you wont be the only one feeling nervous or shy.

We have some advice on making new friends that you might find useful: http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relationships/friendship/making-new-friends-3322.html

You could set yourself some little goals like maybe joining an after college activity or club that interests you to help you meet people?

When you say you're not very good at making friends, can you tell us a bit more about that?

Anyone else got any advice on making friends?

Haha that's true, I may have to find my fellow misfits ;) I guess it's just because most people know each other because their last course leaded on to the one I'm doing, whereas I'm complete new to studying it if that makes sense?

Doing after college activities isn't really an option as I have a job too, so I'll be at college all day and then straight to work after.

I'm just not very good with new people, I'm not the kind of person that people tend to like. I'm the one that just sits in the corner alone and panics. Nobody ever really seems to like me.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Haha that's true, I may have to find my fellow misfits ;) I guess it's just because most people know each other because their last course leaded on to the one I'm doing, whereas I'm complete new to studying it if that makes sense?

Doing after college activities isn't really an option as I have a job too, so I'll be at college all day and then straight to work after.

I'm just not very good with new people, I'm not the kind of person that people tend to like. I'm the one that just sits in the corner alone and panics. Nobody ever really seems to like me.

Hey, yeah that makes sense. What course are you doing?

It is true that the students who will know each other have a head start as such but that doesn't mean they wont be accepting of new students. Do you know if there is anybody else knew who is doing the same course as you? Cos that way they will be in the same boat as you. I remember being at college at being really shy, but the tutor used to put us in groups and mix it up a bit so that we got to know each other, that way people would talk to others, and before long everybody was comfortable to talk to each other, and we would all hang out at lunch time and things. This may be the case with you. *hug*

I am sorry to hear you struggle with meeting new people. This may change in a college environment, as people get older they are a lot more accepting of others. I found this while I was at college.

I guess the trick is to be yourself, and enjoy yourself.

Also maybe having a chat to your tutor she may be able to offer you some advice on how to join in more and get chatting to others.

Keep us posted *hug*
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    Hey, yeah that makes sense. What course are you doing?

It is true that the students who will know each other have a head start as such but that doesn't mean they wont be accepting of new students. Do you know if there is anybody else knew who is doing the same course as you? Cos that way they will be in the same boat as you. I remember being at college at being really shy, but the tutor used to put us in groups and mix it up a bit so that we got to know each other, that way people would talk to others, and before long everybody was comfortable to talk to each other, and we would all hang out at lunch time and things. This may be the case with you. *hug*

I am sorry to hear you struggle with meeting new people. This may change in a college environment, as people get older they are a lot more accepting of others. I found this while I was at college.

I guess the trick is to be yourself, and enjoy yourself.

Also maybe having a chat to your tutor she may be able to offer you some advice on how to join in more and get chatting to others.

Keep us posted *hug*

Hey,
    I'm going to be doing a youth work course.
    I honestly don't know, I think there are a few people who are new to the course, but I think they already know people on the course if that makes sense?

Another issue is I have really bad anxiety and I struggle to talk to new people a lot of the time so I guess that makes making friends a lot harder.

Hopefully it'll be okay though, I think I'll email my tutor and explain the situation and express my worries. *hug*
    Yeah that makes sense. I am sure you will be okay though.

Let us know how you get on if you want :heart:

Sorry to hear about the anxiety. Maybe talking to your tutor could be really beneficial for you. *hug*
    Just thought I would post on here to see how those of you who have started college are finding it all? :heart:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    Id love to collage I really enjoyed it last year wated to go back this year but iam on sick benifets and my leaving care worker was ment to sort it but never hate her. I want to bck but its too late