Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School bags - choosing a new one!

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
So, Jo7, James and I were chatting about school bags - Jo and I remember it being quite a big deal having to choose a new one each year - and this carried on into college and uni too... James said this wasn't really an issue for him - maybe it's more of a girl thing?

I created a buzzfeed list on this topic - let me know if any of these trends continued past the 90s ;)

Are you getting a new bag for school/college/uni for September?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was all about the Jane Norman bag.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ella! wrote: »

Was that black with white writing?
    **helen** wrote: »
    Was that black with white writing?

They had all sorts of styles and colours. I had one similar to this

YaDEJs1.jpg

It was the ultimate bag.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I assure you this was not just a girl thing.

Bags were just as important and just as useless amongst the lads - they were probably a lot more homogenous though. Lads seemed to have decided there was one type of bag that was needed - there must be no deviation from that bag, any subtlety, nuance or dis-order was seen as contempt for the social heirachy.

For example, this particularly useless piece Nike-Brasilia-gym-sack.png was a must have for year 9s & 10s. It's effectivelessness made it all the more desirable. It would crunch any paper/important letters/ homework the moment you pulled the drawstring. If you didn't have one of these you were screwed. Often used for PE bags as well.

Mine was pissed on by our cat and stank.

It's something that still sticks in my head whenever I see lads knocking around after school, they seem to be going for this one at the moment - images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1d4aH-xkhZJt9GYiuuCCNqw0QNkbeM2t3qmT3UxCYyshKMmJwQG6nTbUy This is also very tiny and useless.

It appears that the cooler and more must have the bag, the more useless and ineffective it is.

I'll rack my brain for a few others and see if I can remember them.
    Andy wrote: »
    I assure you this was not just a girl thing.

Bags were just as important and just as useless amongst the lads - they were probably a lot more homogenous though. Lads seemed to have decided there was one type of bag that was needed - there must be no deviation from that bag, any subtlety, nuance or dis-order was seen as contempt for the social heirachy.

For example, this particularly useless piece Nike-Brasilia-gym-sack.png was a must have for year 9s & 10s. It's effectivelessness made it all the more desirable. It would crunch any paper/important letters/ homework the moment you pulled the drawstring. If you didn't have one of these you were screwed. Often used for PE bags as well.

Mine was pissed on by our cat and stank.

It's something that still sticks in my head whenever I see lads knocking around after school, they seem to be going for this one at the moment - images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1d4aH-xkhZJt9GYiuuCCNqw0QNkbeM2t3qmT3UxCYyshKMmJwQG6nTbUy This is also very tiny and useless.

It appears that the cooler and more must have the bag, the more useless and ineffective it is.

I'll rack my brain for a few others and see if I can remember them.

:lol: brilliant!

I remember that nike drawstring number - my brother definitely had one.
    I still have a Nike drawstring bag. Found it today and it's not been used since I was at school.

These types of bags were used as well.
    201144146591_1.jpg
    Oh yes! I am definitely all up for having a new bag each year!! My friends think I'm mad but I just can't help myself. They all call it the 'Becki tradition'
    ella! wrote: »

Jane Norman shut down near me. I was so gutted

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    The Kookai one and then later quiksilver ones.
    Those Nike ones were about a lot too!
    It was all about JanSport ones at one point as well.
    plugitin wrote: »
    The Kookai one and then later quiksilver ones.
    Those Nike ones were about a lot too!

I yearned for the Kookai one for ages and then finally bought it when I was at uni! Then the zip broke, lol. Is Kookai even still about?
    All about the eastpak / surf brand colourful ruck sack.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    The low hanging bag continues, but only for skaters.
    Tote bags are back in.
    Miniature rucksacks for girlies are DEFINITELY in. Completely pointless.

New big thing, satchels, my mum had one so we're talking 70s/80s here. Most of the preppy girls have those.
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »

New big thing, satchels, my mum had one so we're talking 70s/80s here. Most of the preppy girls have those.

I've noticed that! My 40 year-old cousins had them and gave them to me and my sis to play 'schools' with when we were really little. They weren't as nice as the ones that are about now though.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    TNew big thing, satchels, my mum had one so we're talking 70s/80s here. Most of the preppy girls have those.

I bought a Satchel for Uni xD - It's purdy, and from Primark? D: Totes not a preppy girl though xD
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I still have a Nike drawstring bag. Found it today and it's not been used since I was at school.

These types of bags were used as well.
    201144146591_1.jpg

Cex bags are going round in High Schools here, don't know any boy who actually didn't have one?!?!
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Through high school I had messenger bags, wouldn't dare have a rucksack as you get full on pushed in the corridor. Now im in college I wear backpacks to distribute the weight onto both shoulders.
    This was classic for the boys too - particularly in year 7 when some of them appeared smaller than the bag itself ;)mlwhqEXFsViK60_-wO4r8jA.jpg
    Couldn't resist replying to this thread - I remember a new school bag being a huge deal to me, and **helen** I'm pretty sure I had at least one Kookai number. All the cool kids in my school had these:

FifiFataleShoot-62.jpg

...although in hindsight I don't reckon any of them had a clue what Technics even was.

ETA: :lol: Just looked at the Buzzfeed list (should probably have done that before replying), had completely forgotten the River Island carrier - the ultimate status symbol! We ALL had them! Bizarre.
    Hehe, yep a true teen of the 90s - That ones in the buzzfeed! :)
    I love the list. I had a horrible pink sports bag and I had one of the little army rucksack things too...although I now have no idea how I managed to fit anything in it? Perhaps everything else was stashed in my River Island carrier ;)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I had an awful blue rucksack, then changed to a skater bag that used to hang down past my arse, then I went to massive handbags.
    I refused to carry a bag and instead lugged all my books round in my arms. Rebel (impractical though). Most of the girls carried big shoulder bags from Primark. The boys went through a phase of wearing 461-117-19s.jpg
    Ah the mini bag. I wanted one, and a purse, and a regular backpack. My parents said there was no need for all three :( But all the cool kids had all 3!

Jansport separated the classes. The rich kids had jansport, us rifraf had some sort of knockoff. I actually still used one as a gym bag until recently... the thing had to be over a decade old.
    Ooo there were a couple trends I can remember

Back in school it seemed everyone had a paul's boutique bag and also the tigger/winnie the pooh/eeyore disney bags from argos...

I only had mine for the key chain ;)
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    This thread is amazing! I feel like I have just taken a trip down memory lane according to my backpack. I have a big thing for bags even now -I LOVE THEM :heart:

I remember the Nike drawstring bag, at my school we would cover one side with permanent marker messages like - I :heart: ?? and Best Friends 4eva

Any bag with a mobile phone holder was seen as the ultimate in cool - I had a flowery quicksliver bag with matching mobile phone holder (oohhhhhh) bought on holiday showed it off to my best friend and then on the first day of school she rocked up with exactly the same! Not cool - bad school bag etiquette :) Big fall out!

But in true Spice Girl fan/ 00's teen style I also owned one of these babies:botCOWp.jpg?1

Potentially the most impractical school bag on the planet!
    Wow! I had a bubble bag as well. That picture made me cringe haha.
    I was desperate for one of them at one point but my mum would never get me one cos of its impracticality. She was anti bubble/blow up everything (I see her point now though cos we had two cats rampaging around the house and a popped bubble bag isn't very cool sadly)
    I might live out my fantasies and get myself one now
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    grace wrote: »
    I might live out my fantasies and get myself one now

I think they are due for a revival :yes: