Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Manifesto on How to be interesting... **May contain spoilers**

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
:wave: I know a few of you have already read this and others are keen to crack on with it...

The-Manifesto-on-How-to-Be-Interesting-by-Holly-Bourne-UK-cover.jpg

I read it a few weeks ago, definitely a page turner!

So a few questions...

1. Which character could you most relate to? Either because you knew someone like that at school, or maybe you could empathise with their experience?

2. Which part of the manifesto do you think was most relevant?

3. What did you think of the ending?

So, would be cool to hear your thoughts, but also feel free to add your own questions. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Such a great book!

I could most relate to Bree, I was definitely one of the outcasts at school.

The most relevant part of the manifesto was rule six: Stop caring. I hated the social part of school but I did have that one amazing friend who stuck by me through absolutely everything. One true friend is always better than fake/no friends :yes:

The ending was totally unexpected! If everything hadn't have happened the way it did though then Bree wouldn't have learnt to value what and who she has :heart:

I'd much rather be like Bree my whole life than any of the other characters in the book.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Was just wondering if anyone else has finished the book yet? What did you think? :)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I have. However I am not very good at the whole evaulating something so not sure how to reply to this thread. But a awesome book :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I really want to read this!!

Sent by Sony Xperia
    ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i finished it today and just wow! do have to state although its taken about a month to read its the quickest ive ever read a book and the longest book ive ever read :) obviously fav character is Bree because she is so relatable for me in so many ways its weird. I love the message of the book but oh my gosh plot twist had me in tears!!!!! Last night was like cry for 10 mins while reading the bit about the christmas party and after it..... just wow!

Now is my fav book and started reading it again already :D
    I've ordered this online so should get it soon! :hyper:

Sent by Sony Xperia
    Look what came through the post today!! :hyper: etusapy5.jpg

Sent by Sony Xperia
    Yayayayayy! Get Reading I couldn't put it down when I was reading it
    I've got a book to read before I can read this one so better get reading on these train journeys

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I've got a book to read before I can read this one so better get reading on these train journeys

Sent by Sony Xperia

I will come meet you if you want so you can come on a train and have more reading time ;) hahaha! It's such a awesome book, I want to read it again. I literally didn't seperate from my kindle all the time reading it.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Its making me want to read it even more!! I might just read it after Fault in our stars

Sent by Sony Xperia
    I've never been able to relate to a book as I have with this one. Wow. I'm only up to chapter 16 and can already see parts of myself in Bree. Holly's done a great job!

Sent by Sony Xperia
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I've never been able to relate to a book as I have with this one. Wow. I'm only up to chapter 16 and can already see parts of myself in Bree. Holly's done a great job!

Sent by Sony Xperia
    That's just how I felt, is such an amazing book really is
    I've just got this on kindle and I can't wait to get stuck in. However I'm sure it mentioned somewhere that one of the things covered in the book is self harm and I am just wondering how graphic is it? Just so I'm prepared before I read it

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Ellie :) wrote: »
    I've just got this on kindle and I can't wait to get stuck in. However I'm sure it mentioned somewhere that one of the things covered in the book is self harm and I am just wondering how graphic is it? Just so I'm prepared before I read it

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    There is mention of it near the beginning however it isn't to graphic more about the feelings... I think becki can back me up on that.
    Then more graphic part near the end, which I did cry at I'd say chapter 48-51 are the chapters which are upsetting nd graphic. However it's left to the reader to fill in the gaps if that makes sense. But up to then I'd say it is alright.

Hopefully someone else can either agree it disagree with me... hope that helps slightly ellie x
    I agree with rosebud. It's absolutely fine up until towards the end but then I wouldn't say it's "graphic", it's just quite full on in terms of it's exactly how some people feel when they do it and it's exactly what could happen and maybe already has/will. It really depends on each person, everyone is different and will have different experiences/triggers. Ellie, if you're easily triggered when it comes to self-harm and you do still want to read it then just make sure you prepare yourself.
    Yeh what butterfly said, it's different for each of us. But Yeh they way she described the ending bit is true what she says.
    I haven't read past chapter 16 so don't know what's happened past that.

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    This any good? might download it on the kindle ...but already got too many books i havent read! :L
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    READ IT!!!!!! It's an amazing book :)
    This any good? might download it on the kindle ...but already got too many books i havent read! :L

You'd defo get into this one. Its brilliant

Sent by Sony Xperia