Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Have you been bullied?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I realise that this may be a bit of a difficult topic to talk about but I've been bullied in the past and it's not nice so I was wondering if anyone else would like to share their experience? Maybe you've been bullied at school/college/work, or maybe online? Or you might know someone that's been bullied and it's affected you just as much
I was bullied all the way through my school life. In primary school mainly because everyone used to call me smelly etc because my parents neglected my needs. In secondary school it was the more physical side
Like I said I understand this can be quite a difficult subject to talk about but I thought it might help for others to see their not alone

Sent by Sony Xperia
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am sorry to hear about this for you Becki but yes thats right,we're not alone.And yes a VERY difficult and sensitive to talk about....

I was severely bullied in secondary school right from the first week of year 7 to the last day of year 11.I was called names like slut, slag, ugly, spotty, mental, insane, crazy, poor, psychotic, cow,stupid,baby,crybaby,weirdo,idiot,bitch and many more :'( I was accused of different things and some of those accusations involving the police.I was beaten up(head banged against the wall,hair pulled out,black eye and bruises!) :'( Rumours were made up about me :'( I was sexually assaulted :'* When one person was doing the bullying,others would get involved :'( And more :'( It was a living hell for me and my school did nothing.I was also going through things outside of school which made me feel worse.I turned to self harming at 11 and still do it now just not as often or as bad as what i used to.The bullyin has stopped now but they are still doing it to me mentally.I get horrible flashbacks and nightmares often :'( I blame myself and tell myself i must deserve it :'( I developed depression,social anxiety,general anxiety and PTSD(all diagnosed by camhs)as well as now possible BPD :'( I felt so alone and had no one to turn to or to talk to :'( Its horrible and still affects me a lot now,on top of EVERYTHING else.I lost all confidence and self esteem and am really self conscious :'( I am with camhs now trying to recover and move on.....

If you are being bullied then please know your not alone and please tell someone.

I am always here to talk xx
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Well,
    I was bullied in year 7 by 2 girls, they used to always laugh at me and snigger everytime I saw them, one of them ended up going to a different high school.
    Again in year 8 I was always laughed at by some girls
    In year 9, 2 girls from my English class started bullying me, they started by say horrible things to me, again by laughing at me. This is the point when i started making myself feel ill in English. I think the bullying started like half way through year 9 and went on through the rest of the year.
    In year 10, in p.e this girl who i've always disliked because she used to always be horrible to me started laughing at me, i was with my friends and we was doing zumba and the girl was in the front row with her friends and she kept turning around and staring at me and laughing, i hated it, she would then say "what you looking at?!" so at one point i replied with "you bitch." throughout the rest of year 10, this girl wouldn't stop calling me names, laughing at me, pushing me in the corridors.
    In year 11, the girl from who was bullying me in the previous year kept this up for about 3 months and then stopped, and the rest of year 11 was just stress.
    In college (year 12) one day the class had ended at it was break time, I pushed my chair out to grab my bag and one of the bitchy girls said as i got up, "took your chair in, much appreciated." So i told her to shut up, she then said "don't tell me to shut up" i replied with "bitch". She then went on to tell her friends and laugh to them about me and yeah made the first few months of year 12 hell. the girl then told one of my teachers whilst i was out of the classroom for a few minutes. I then started having suicidal thoughts, went to see the college counsellor and told her i was being bullied and she told one of my teachers, and it stopped.
    Well,
    I was bullied in year 7 by 2 girls, they used to always laugh at me and snigger everytime I saw them, one of them ended up going to a different high school.
    Again in year 8 I was always laughed at by some girls
    In year 9, 2 girls from my English class started bullying me, they started by say horrible things to me, again by laughing at me. This is the point when i started making myself feel ill in English. I think the bullying started like half way through year 9 and went on through the rest of the year.
    In year 10, in p.e this girl who i've always disliked because she used to always be horrible to me started laughing at me, i was with my friends and we was doing zumba and the girl was in the front row with her friends and she kept turning around and staring at me and laughing, i hated it, she would then say "what you looking at?!" so at one point i replied with "you bitch." throughout the rest of year 10, this girl wouldn't stop calling me names, laughing at me, pushing me in the corridors.
    In year 11, the girl from who was bullying me in the previous year kept this up for about 3 months and then stopped, and the rest of year 11 was just stress.
    In college (year 12) one day the class had ended at it was break time, I pushed my chair out to grab my bag and one of the bitchy girls said as i got up, "took your chair in, much appreciated." So i told her to shut up, she then said "don't tell me to shut up" i replied with "bitch". She then went on to tell her friends and laugh to them about me and yeah made the first few months of year 12 hell. the girl then told one of my teachers whilst i was out of the classroom for a few minutes. I then started having suicidal thoughts, went to see the college counsellor and told her i was being bullied and she told one of my teachers, and it stopped.

Hey Hann
    Im sorry you went through that :( But glad it has now all stopped for you :) xx
    Well..

This is something that I don't mind sharing for once, so I'll give it my best shot,

When I first started Naíonra (which is like before you start Primary 1) I was always shoved to the side, left out of everything, and called names. The staff noticed it, but sadly there was a member of staff who joined in with the children, she would have told me I was useless, stupid and more. My parents ended up pulling me out of that setting, and decied not to send me anywhere else, and I would just start Primary 1 in September.

Primary 1- I went to the same Primary school that ran Naíonra (This was not though choice it's the way the system works in Ireland it's all done on like postcodes and that) and of course there was some people from Naíonra there, that in it's self was hard for 4 year old me to deal with, but I remember thinking, I'll make friends with the other kids, it will be ok. As the year went on it did get worse.

Primary 2- Primary 2 was a little bit better in some ways, my twin sisters where born so lots of people did want to be my friend, even if it was to see my sisters, the same kind of thing that happened in primary one happened in primary 2.

Primary 3 and 4- These two years where one of the worst two I've had in education (Not the worst I shall explain that in a little while) my primary 3 teacher was the best teacher I've ever had, he was the only person in school that stuck up for me and reported everything that happened to the head master. While I was in primary 3 the primary 4 teacher (Teacher E) worked closely with the primary 3's in order to prepear them for their First Holy Communion. During this time Teacher E picked one child to pick on for the full year, that child was me. When I started Primary 4 she refereed to me as the stupid child in the class and be-littled me the full time I was there. Our class in Primary 4 was divided up into 3 different groups, The smart kids, The clever kids and the kids that needed a little extra support. I was in none of these groups, any time the class was doing Math work, I was removed from the class and sent to sit at the 'table' this was mainly because I did not understand the work. This carried on for the rest of the year. Teacher E carried on to make me feel worthless and told me on a number of different occians that I was worth nothing and would go no where in life.

Primary 5- Primary 5 was a much better time for the owl. There was little to no bullying happening.

Primary 6- This is the year when it did get to much, from September I started to suffer from broken bones and black eyes, this is when my family made the choice to remove me from this school, I left around Halloween, and started a new school which was far better.

Primary 7- Primary 7 there was no bullying really done this year, we where stressing about what secondary schools we where for going to mainly.

*Started Secondary School*

When I started year 8 the secondary school, I thought that this would be a new start,I was so wrong. My friends from my second primary school kept talking to me, and the people from my old school joined up so we became a group. One day a new person joined the group, We shall call her B, I said all along that there was something about B that I did not like. And I was right, B started calling me names, and so on. I reported it to my form teacher and she did nothing. Untill one day our group where walking accross the playground a B grabbed me by my hair and forced me to the ground and pulled me up and down by my hair, This was then reported to the police, during that summer it carried on and she would prank call me telling me to kill myself and so on.

Year 9 was the same, B was still bullying me and it took then to Social Media, she set up hate pages on facebook, and got other people to join in. During my time in year 9 she broke my fingers 7 times, broke my ankle, and give me countless black eyes. In the end we had to take out an order preventing her from coming near me.

Years 10,11,12- During these three years, while trying to prepare for exams and stuff, the bullying carried on by girls in my class, year 11 and 12 is possibley when it got worse, three girls in my glass would push my into things, yell at me, spray water at me, and so on.. It was a horrible two years.

Year 13- This was lower 6th, it was such a horrible time...The bullying got worse, my and a new pupil became friends, my year decided that they wanted to have this party and they asked me and my friend if we wanted to come, we said we would have to check cause of our caring responsibilities, this got back to the person (Shall call her MCOD) MCOD came to me and my friend and started yelling at us when we where in the green room, MCOD and her friend thretened us in more ways than one. Our pen drives where stolen, or bags where stolen, we would have words like 'Fuck and shit' written into our coursework. In February my friend dropped out of school and I was on my own. The bullying did get worse when I was on my own, I became a selective mute, I still had my coursework stolen, my laptop damaged, I had bricks and stones throwen at my head. In the end I made the choice to leave the school and I'm not at a collage much happier.

On a positive side to this story, I've turned what was a shitty time for the want of another word and I'm now using it in a positive way I'm working with two anti- bullying charities and I'm using my story in a way to raise awareness. I'm also now an Anti-Bullying ambassador as well. I hope this helps a little.
    Well done for everyone sharing these stories. It sounds like you've all been through tough times but we're here now so you can talk

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I didn't really start getting bullied until my last few years of primary school .. it was mainly just words and things being thrown at me ... i started hanging around with the older kids, which i guess was the wrong crowd, and got myself into smoking and drinking when i was 11 and in my first year of high school. I was out most nights with them. the first years of high school i was pretty accepted there ... i was still hanging around with the older kids and they felt protective over me, they also taught me to fight and stand up for myself. then everything started to change ... my parents split up and we moved to another area with new people that didn't like my family. i was still getting okay at school ... i didn't get bullied there, but it was out of school and on the internet where it happened ... i would get emails and messages telling me to leave the area ... to go back to where i came from or else and death threats. i week or so later i had some old friends over, we were camping in the tent and during the night 2 local kids poured petrol over the tent and tried to light it ... we smelt it in time and got out ... the emails and messages kept coming ... still telling me to leave, i tried convincing my mam but she wouldn't listen, she didn't want to move again. the local kids started throwing stuff at our house in the night, like stones and bricks ... i started becoming terrified of sleeping and the part that pushed me to refusing to leave the house was when they poisoned my cat, Dewy, and he died that night. i refused to go out with friends or to school .. i started to become quite ill because of it, suffering from multiple mental health problems and feeling suicidal ... and my attendance has dropped to 16 percent. My mam contacted the police a few times, but they did nothing. it's eased now kinda ... no physical stuff is happening but i still get messages and threats ...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    Well done for everyone sharing these stories. It sounds like you've all been through tough times but we're here now so you can talk

Sent by Sony Xperia

:yes:
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Sharing your 'Bullying' story is an amazing step to accepting it's happened and showing you're moving forward. Not many people realize that the effects of bullying can affect someone traumatically, and also childhood bullying can later affect an individual in adulthood. By sharing your stories you are raising awareness and it's really positive, but don't stop here.

BeatBullying often involve news press etc to get young people to share their stories, I've done two articles for them one for the Sunday weekend magazine, and one to come out hopefully this upcoming September! So, keep sharing, and raise the awareness, you could even raise the awareness of bullying by raising money for the charity BeatBullying, there such a wonderful charity, and offer peer mentor counselling to those affected by bullying aged 11-17, and have trained mentors aged 12+, me included!

http://www.beatbullying.org/
  • ravenclawdashravenclawdash Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    I'm a little late to this, but am I still able to share my story?
    Of course :)
    I'm a little late to this, but am I still able to share my story?

Please feel free to share if you feel able :)

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I was bullied alot in high school, mainly name calling cos of how I looked. I got called names cos of my eye. Then the bullying moved on to having blue tack thrown in my hair and being tripped up in the corridors, having my bag stolen and things stolen, being threatened.

Generally having people be horrible to me.

I then got bullied in the workplace again it was all verbal, but still hurt.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    This is a Michael J Fox quote. Thought it would be quite good to put here :)

"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered"

Not sure how to put it in one of those cool boxes sorry

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    This is a Michael J Fox quote. Thought it would be quite good to put here :)

"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered"

Not sure how to put it in one of those cool boxes sorry

Sent by Sony Xperia

Mine wasn't surrendered but it was still taken

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • ravenclawdashravenclawdash Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    I'd like to preface this by saying the fact I still go to one of these schools, and I still have 3 more years in the education system until I am able to leave it.

Right now, I'm 15, nearly 16. I have been bullied in some form for the last 10 years of my life, and more. Somehow, I have been able to keep going, even though it has possibly caused some of my mental health issues such as depression, and aniety, but these are still not diagnosed.

It started when I was 3. I was in pre school. Form what I can remember, I was hurt by the other kids, to te point that I had to be pulled out of the place, because k ended up being bitten by one of the bullies.

Fast forward 4years. I am now 7. I have had to move school again due to bulling. Again, its still effecting me. I have no friends at this point, something that is still there today. As I do now, I just go to school because I am made too, not because I want to. I put up the front of being happy, of being fine, but I am not, and I still put up the front every day.

Few years on, after moving schools twice, I am now 11. I am going into secondary school. I remember walking to the school gate, thinking to my self, "maybe the bulling will stop here, maybe I will finally get a chance to be happy" but never was I so wrong. As soon as I got into my first class, I was already being called the same names. I told the school. They did nothing. Again. Then the whole saga with "j" happened. J was this girl in my sisters class. She hated me. We would see each other in PE. J would still my stuff, and I wopuld tell the school only to be told to deal with it myself, or if they did something, was to give me detention for leaving my class to tell them. J didn't end up leaving my school intill 2 years after this, in year 9. This was after trying to get the police in on this ( they said to let the school deal with it), and countless meetings with pastoral support. I am still scared of going to the pastoral people to talk about other things to this day.

If you would see in school now, you would see me pretending to put on a happy face, and just getting on with it. Its probably the reason why I am so good at performing arts. If you could see behind it, you would see someone who it fighting a battle not to lose it while in public places. Still putting on the face until she gets home, until late at night when nobody is awake, then that girl shall let it out. She will then show her true feelings. the torment, the battle had been lost.

I'm not going to be the same person as mot people. I'm never going to be turely happy, or even be happy with myself. But I have learned to live with it.