Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

London.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys :wave:

I'm off to London for a few days soon with a friend and I was wondering if you guys know of anything fun to do?

I think we're going to go to the Ice Bar :hyper: but what else could we do? Preferably something affordable, or any particular places worth seeing?

I know it would be an obvious suggestion but I've decided against going to see a show.

We're both in our 20's if that makes a difference :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    There's lots to see in London, but it varies where about in London you're going, it's just absolutely wonderful to just shop around, etc and just shop and enjoy the amazing views!! But this link might be worth having a peak at - Things to do in London - http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do?ref=nav Do let me know what you think!!

Hey guys :wave:

I'm off to London for a few days soon with a friend and I was wondering if you guys know of anything fun to do?

I think we're going to go to the Ice Bar :hyper: but what else could we do? Preferably something affordable, or any particular places worth seeing?

I know it would be an obvious suggestion but I've decided against going to see a show.

We're both in our 20's if that makes a difference :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Summer is a good time for seeking out fun in London, but it can also get really busy, so I guess it depends whether you want to try and avoid obvious crowds or not? And also what the weather is like ;)

Camden Beach is around until August 23rd and that has some free gigs and stuff. Camden in general can be quite a fun shopping spot, but like anywhere does get pretty busy.

There's also lots of rooftop cinema events going on until September. One example is the power of summer which looks pretty cool, which is in Battersea. Battersea power station is sadly going to get hauled over (I think maybe into flats/housing) so it would be a last chance to see a building that's pretty iconic. However, if you do like the idea of that, but want something a bit more central, there's also outdoor cinema in Holborn and other places if you google 'rooftop cinema london' you'll find them :)

In terms of the museums, there's always lots going on and plenty of freebies - as well as 'Museum lates' which are after hours events at places like London Zoo, Natural History Museum, Science Museum and the V&A. It can be really fun going to a museum late at night as they tend to have special stuff going on - details are on their websites. :)

Hope that gives you a few ideas, but let us know if there's anything else you're particularly interested in - e.g. clubs/bars etc :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys!

I'm actually quite excited now.

Helen, I love the idea of the rooftop cinema event! I think that's going to be a definite. Loads of ideas there, will keep me very busy looking into all of that :D

Is there a particular bar you'd recommend? One that's quite a nice place but not too crowded or loud?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    If you're in Central London and looking for a pub/bar, you can never fault a Sam Smiths pub.

They've got cheap beer, and are oldy-worldy type pubs. You've got the John Snow in Soho, and the Chandos right next to Trafalgar Square and loads others, here's a map of all of the Sam Smith's in London. If it's not a Friday or Saturday night you're pretty much guaranteed a seat in those places, sometimes on a weekend too.

They're a chain, but have their roots in good pubs and places and have been around forever. It's not your Weatherspoons type place.
  • Options
    Thank you Andy! :D
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I love Primrose Hill and Regent's Park - from the top of Primrose Hill you can see across the London skyline... if the weather is nice take a picnic and go and sit up there.

I'm mainly about all the green spaces in London so I'm not sure what else I can recommend!
  • Options
    You're big on mindfulness aren't you?? The performance (sort of thing) at the Serpentine gallery atm is very very lovely and well worth a visit - I think it's on until the 25th (it's also free.)

http://www.serpentinegalleries.org/exhibitions-events/marina-abramovic-512-hours