Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dietician?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

My CPN is referring me to a dietician I don't really know what to expect it's a good thing I think but a bit worried about how they'll think I'm wasting there time.

Had anyone ever been referred to a dietician? What can I expect? What happens at an appt?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

If they made a referral then you're certainly not wasting anyone's time and it's positive to hear that your CPN is taking some steps to support you. Have they told you anything about their reason for referring you?

A dietitian is trained to give advice about nutrition and diet so in your first session they will probably want to find out a bit more about you - your current diet and lifestyle, your food likes and dislikes, that sort of thing. In terms of what they might offer going forward, they may help you to set some individual goals around your nutrition and diet and offer advice and support around your food choices, understanding food labels, shopping or cooking tips, they might give you some written information to take home and read, it really depends on what you need but they're there to work with you.

Hopefully once you get the referral letter it may outline a bit about the initial appointment too, you could always get in touch to ask a bit about what to expect as well, or ask your CPN to find out for you?

Does anyone else have any first-hand experience of seeing a dietitiion?

Keep us posted Blondie :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for your reply Jo ;)

I just feel like I'm wasting there time, yeh my CPN asked if id like a referral she's taking me asda to see how we get on with shopping she's so funny!! No chance! It's to do with y eating and looking at diet plans and healthy eating mainly for some advice on things really hopefully not long term coz in so obese it's unreal I feel disgusting in myself.

I think I'll ask CPN to come with me she'll prob come anyway to get advice herself on how best to support me but suppose no harm in trying and seeing what goes :)