Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being single in the summer

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
large.jpg

Summer can be a great time to get out, have fun with friends, and meet new people. I've spoken to a few people who've said that ideally they'd be single in the summer, and in a relationship in the winter!

On the other hand, if you feel you've been single for longer than you'd like, it can be hard to see other people running around and seeming to have so much fun.

How do you feel about being single in the summer? Do you enjoy it? Find it difficult? Or do you miss it?

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it'd be the other way around - and it would be for me at least.

I'd prefer to have someone to spend long lazy sunny days with and go off and have lots of adventures with whilst the weather is nice - and then in winter it doesn't matter so much because all you want to do is just stay in - and I don't like just staying in with someone else around!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont see it any different from the winter really, although in winter you'd have the added bonus of someone to keep warm with.

During the summer, especially if its too hot, I can get quite ratty and just wanna wear whatever will keep me cool no matter what i looks like with my hair all bundled up, too hot to look nice which probably isnt helpful in a relationship to be snappy.

As it happens ive always been single in the summer though so cant say otherwise
    Personally I can't think of a better time to be with my girlfriend. :)
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    The thing is I've never been in a relationship, and now everywhere I go I see people my age in a relationship. I hate it. It makes me feel quite upset that no one likes me like that and that I have no one to be there for me like that. It also makes me wonder whether I'm ever going to find someone or whether I will be single forever.
    I don't know, my ex and I had amazing days during summer together and amazing days with the kids. I think I'd much rather be single in summer though than during winter, I loved the romantic nights in snuggled up trying to keep warm together. You can't do that in summer though because it's too hot, but then again we loved camping in the summer! 'tis a toughie!
    I've been single all of my life! Go me...

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I've been single all of my life! Go me...

You're still young! You'll find someone when you least expect it :yes:
    You're still young! You'll find someone when you least expect it :yes:

No ones interested haha :) but that's fine!

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Same Becki :(
    same becki and hannah :(
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Sorry those of you who find it difficult :(

I'd just add to Whowhere's comment that not only is it easy not to notice the unhappy couples (and to assume that people are happy just because they are a couple), but also all the single people, some of whom will be enjoying themselves, and some who will also be struggling.

It is hard when there's something you want and you feel like other people have. But try to take your time and not pressure yourself, you can get where you want to be :)
    Hiya

I guess that for me, it's the sheer amount of weddings that I have been asked to go to. These can be hard when you are a single gal - as most of the invites may include a +1.

I have been so lucky in that I have really supportive girlfriends who have come with me and been my +1. I have been to weddings completely alone, and I actually had a fantastic time. Sometimes you can go and expect to be a bridget jones character and everyone will be secretly pitying you - but I think the expectation is worse than reality

Being single is great - it's so liberating - and one day we will look back at this time of our lives and think - wow, I could just go and do anything I wanted - whenever I wanted!

:hyper:
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Tamsinjo wrote: »
    Sometimes you can go and expect to be a bridget jones character and everyone will be secretly pitying you - but I think the expectation is worse than reality

I think that's a really good point Tamsinjo - if you see the fact that you're single as a negative thing, it's easy to project that onto other people and assume that they'll pity you or see you as lacking in some way. Whereas I think in reality most people don't see it as a big deal. Plus, there are probably various people in couples feeling envious of the single people!
    Yea most people are in relationships the whole winter then once its summer they break up lol
    Yeah I don't think the season makes a difference, I'd rather be in a relationship no matter what time of the year!