Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My mum wants to see my self harm scars, please help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Guys please, someone has to help me.
I haven't self harmed for long, about a month, and my mum has found out. She saw some cuts I have on my hip, but now she is ASKING to see the cuts on my thigh. I CAN'T SHOW HER. She'll be wrecked, and to be honest I can't believed she even asked to see them. I mean, it's kind of private! I feel she's being really insensitive, but I don't know what to do? Should I just say no? I think she'd just try and look anyway, though. PLEASE HELP ME! Any advice, please, anything. I'm desperate :'(

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey. Welcome to TheSite boards :)

Sounds like things you are in a tricky situation. Is the option to openly speak to your mum? And explaining why you dont want to show her your cuts and scars. Also your mum may just be worried and want to see the cuts to make sure they dont need medical attention.

I guess trying to speak to her may be your best bet.

Try and remember she cares.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    :chin: Hmmm, tricky one...

Personally, I think you should get it over with and let her see them. Once she does, that's the worst of the moment over. I know we try and protect our parents from things like this - but try and flip it round... if it was your child, you would wanna know and see them, right? I think now's the time to let her be a mum. :) She's only going to care and try and help, even if it seems like a scary move at first. Good luck!
  • Options
    imsoscared wrote: »
    Guys please, someone has to help me.
    I haven't self harmed for long, about a month, and my mum has found out. She saw some cuts I have on my hip, but now she is ASKING to see the cuts on my thigh. I CAN'T SHOW HER. She'll be wrecked, and to be honest I can't believed she even asked to see them. I mean, it's kind of private! I feel she's being really insensitive, but I don't know what to do? Should I just say no? I think she'd just try and look anyway, though. PLEASE HELP ME! Any advice, please, anything. I'm desperate :'(

This one is quite a tricky one :chin:
    I think from what you have said she's only asking to see them because she is worried about you and she may feel that if she sees them she may be able to help you? What do you think?
    It is incredibly hard to show someone you care about your SH scars, I know from my own experiences, but sometimes it can really help. When your hiding it, it's sort of like the elephant in the room - they know it's happening but they don't talk about it. How would you feel about saying something like "I know why you might want to see them but I am worried that if you do you will be very upset with you see. This is also a very hard thing for me to do" Obviously you don't have to say it like that but it's just an idea
    Hope everything goes well. Keep us upto date :)

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, wow aha. Why do you guys all make it sound so easy! Thank you so much BeckiBoo, I'll try remember what you said. Hopefully she'll understand why it's hard, but I have a feeling she'll ask why it's hard, and keep pestering me with questions! Argh :(
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, wow aha. Why do you guys all make it sound so easy! Thank you so much BeckiBoo, I'll try remember what you said. Hopefully she'll understand why it's hard, but I have a feeling she'll ask why it's hard, and keep pestering me with questions! Argh :(

We know it's not easy, well I do anyway! It takes a lot of courage to be able to talk to your loved ones about self harm so it may take quite a while before you manage to open up to her
    If she does continue to ask questions just say that your not feeling comfortable talking about it but in time you will. ;)

• Options
    How are things going imsoscared?
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    How are things going imsoscared?

I think things are okay c: When she asked to see my scars, um, at first I said I wasn't comfortable and she asked why. I didn't really know what to say so, I didn't say anything. In the end I did show her though, because she said "The only reason I can think of, of why you wouldn't want to show me is because you've still been doing it" I guess she guilt tripped me into it, but I haven't self harmed in three weeks so I didn't want her thinking that I've still been doing it. I think she was quite upset. She just said oh I hope these fade, which I thought was stupid, because it's not even her body aha. So, yeah, that's what happened. What do you think?
  • Options
    I think the only reason she mentioned about them fading was because you have your entire life in front of you. I have been in a similar position but it was one of my carers that mentioned about the fading. She only cares about you
    Well done for showing her them though. It's a massive and scary step but you should be proud of yourself for showing her :) Well done :heart:

• Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I think the only reason she mentioned about them fading was because you have your entire life in front of you. I have been in a similar position but it was one of my carers that mentioned about the fading. She only cares about you
    Well done for showing her them though. It's a massive and scary step but you should be proud of yourself for showing her :) Well done :heart:

Thanks c:
  • Options
    Thanks c:

No problem, we're always here

Sent by Sony Xperia