Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I know there are/were a lot of travelers on here, so I thought I'd ask... anybody been there? Or anywhere near? It is on the eastern edge bordered by Laos and Cambodia.

I'll be spending some time there so if anybody has anything to recommend, things to see, places to eat... please do share!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've not been to that area and, admittedly, it was a long time ago now that I did travel to Thailand, but certainly obtaining food was not a problem at all. In more touristy areas there were plenty of eating places, and even out of the way there were street sellers from who you could get cooked food. Generally all very tasty if not westernised. If you're being paid a western wage whilst living out there you should find that you have plenty of cash to go around. Definitely try to get out to some of the islands and take a few tours/treks to see the wildlife and visit temples and such. Grab one of the rough guides.
  • Options
    I know, it isn't a touristy place so I'm having a tough time trying to find the touristy things. I really wanted to be up around Chiangmai, it looks so gorgeous and the temples! The white temple and the zoo and the forests and groves... I must visit there after.

I'm not really making a western wage... like I have to try and renegotiate my loans while I'm gone, and I better have enough for the plane tickets beforehand... but it is apparently enough to live decently - since I'll only be paying for a couple utilities and no rent. It is definitely for the experience and not the money ;)

I know it will be gorgeous and awesome, even if I'm not in a touristy place... but I wish it was more touristy :p