Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Panicking about going away

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going away for 10 days and I'm really panicking about all the thing I need to do before I go away, to the point where I can't think straight!!

Can anyone suggest things I need to think about?

So far I have:
Where and flea riotcat
send all the library books back
send back my love film DVD
make sure someone can feed riotcat whilst I'm away.

Any more suggestion? I'm doing my head in thinking about everything! I'm really worried about it!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi I'm Star20 by the way. Nice to meet u. I would try not to worry too much and maybe write a list on all the things u need to get done before u go away. Plan it in ur own time so u know exactly what u need to do. That's what I would start off by doing.

Any suggestions on what u need to think about could be to make sure u do some shopping before u go so that u have what u need when it comes to the little essentionals u need ie food and drinks, cosmetics, toiletries etc, maybe think about what clothes, shoes, and bags it gonna take with u and another thing could be make sure u leave a spare set of keys for the person who will look after ur cat so they can come in and out anytime to feed them.

Those are the sort of things I would think about before I go away. Knowing that u have done everything can be helpful two by ticking it off on it checklist. I hope that helps and u feel a bit better on what u need to do. You going anywhere nice? :)
    Write yourself a list, and then you do not need to worry about forgetting stuff.

While 10 days might be a long time for you, loads of people go away for that long on a very regular basis.

My basic check list is:
    Any bills due while away
    Doors locked
    Windows closed
    Sensible mix of lights on and off
    Library books
    Anything else on loan
    Double check for any appointments might have made in the time away without noticing
    Change voicemail (probably not relevant for you)
    Tell neighbours (depends on neighbours)
    Empty the bins
    Clear fridge of stuff that will be rotten when get back
    Cancel things you get delivered like milk/papers?
    Bills are paid by direct debit, I have a timer which I've never used. Is it worth it? I don't want people to know I'm away, more likely to be burgled. Got the fridge and bins sorted. Not sure what to do about the house plants.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Bills are paid by direct debit, I have a timer which I've never used. Is it worth it? I don't want people to know I'm away, more likely to be burgled. Got the fridge and bins sorted. Not sure what to do about the house plants.

What are you doing with RiotCat? If someone is going to come in and feed him then you could ask them to do any houseplants that actually need watering more than every 10 days. I solve that one by not having houseplants.

During the summer, I don't bother with a timer for lights - I just leave the hall one on like I would when I'm at home. With the really short days up here, I use one when I'm away for a long period of time in the winter.

Sounds like you've got everything covered.
    If it's any reassurance, i usually do all of the above in the last 10 minutes before leaving the house, so it's not a big deal or something that really needs much thought.
    Yh writing a list down with help u. I think u need to still give them a spare key to the house cuz how will they feed ur cat? You need to trust someone who will be able to look after them whilst it away. You don't want to leave the day outside the door but u need to give it to the person.

You need to cancel anything what u get delievered to it door so doing that will let them not come. Telling all tour friends and most of it family it going away and till when and knowing that if anything happens they can leave a answering machine message if u got one to u when I get back.

What else do u need to get? Who u going with? Writing a list down on what u need to do will help u cuz u won't forget. Knowing that u done this and done that. Hope that's ok? I'm here :)
    I've made a mindmap I everything I need to take/buy/do before I go, but it hasn't eased my worries about it so much as I thought it would.
    Assuming you deal with riotcat - what's the worst that could happen?

You forget to buy something before you go, and have to go I a shop while you're away. You leave something out that you should have chucked out - and have to clean it up when you get back. You forget something, and get a small late payment fine.
    If I forget something whilst we're at the festival neither of us have transport and we'd be miles from the nearest town (and there's no shuttle bus either). It's a small festival so I doubt there's going to be a general store stall. I'm also really panicking about what to wear and if my wheelchairs are going to handle it - one is on it's last legs but it's my electric and if the site is steeper than we thought then we have my manual but I'm going to struggle. My tickets still haven't arrived and I'm worrying I'm going to not take all I my meds or all my back up stuff or MrRiot is going to have enough of me and just walk off (unlikely but my head is thinking up some pretty stupid shit right now).
    It sounds silly to mention it, but, remember to pack! I've often been so involved in making sure everything is ok whilst I'm away, that I've forgotten to pack until last minute.
    I think a lot of people do that G-raffee, ur not the only one. Good to have an idea on what to bring and what not to bring and pack some in a bag ready but I suppose u don't need to decide with the rest infill the day before u go cuz then u know exactly what ur gonna bring and what ur gonna to wear as u said.

You only need a spare change of clothes, shoes, money, food, drinks, beauty essentials and mobile phone for the festivel but if ur staying for 10 days then obviously u need more then just a few if bits and bob's. Don't wanna carry everything with u but the most important stuff is important.

I would just wear a pair of shorts, a short sleve top and a pair of wellington boots as ur gonna get dirty to wear up there. I would carry anything dressy up. More on clothes u know u can get dirty in and what can go in the wash after.

Toiletries are a must to clean urself. Wipes, tooth brush, toothpaste, mouth wash, spray and clean underware which u will bring with ur spare change of clothes. Hygiene is important when u go somewhere like that but u are gonna get dirty but it's remembering where u are and knowing u still got to keep up with ur hygiene.

Toilet roll is a good one two and anti bacterial gell when ur sitting down at the festival for something to eat or holding anything for anyone. I don't know where ur staying but these things are important wherever ur going. That's basicly everything u need or anything more u may need to bring. Where are u staying?and u said ur tickets haven't arrived, why? Have they arrived now

Make sure u sort that out cuz u won't be able to get in otherwise so first thing u need to do is ring up the ticket company and ask about ur tickets and ur waiting for them to be posted to u. You need to do this in a couple of weeks advance so they can have time to get to u. Is it ur ticket ur waiting on? If so u need to chase that up.

What did u say about transport in getting there, I'm not too sure what u said. You don't have a mini bus u lot can get on to get there? How u getting there? Especially as u said with being in wheelchair. It's essential that someone can sort out transport cuz its for u to be able to get on and off the bus and wheelchair access is virtual.

I'm sure u will have a good time and u got things in place know with ur cat, the grocerys, the electric, spare change of clothes and telling family and friends where ur going. Also what I gave advice on to is is other things u need to sort out as u got a short time to do this. Hope that I have helped. I'm here if u wanna talk :)
    *huge sigh*

Seems like the festival has been cancelled but they won't confirm until Monday which is too late to not have to at least lose deposits on stuff let alone probably have to pay some of the cost.

Really angry about it!!!
    Any reason not to go to the area anyway?
    We had to book the caravan in Cornwall for a week anyway and Kettering isn't exactly happening!!