Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going to university - what you need to know!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys,

You people are so much more fortunate than I ever was. I never had whatuni, youtube, cappex or that many research methods at all really. If you are going to university it is not a decision to make overnight. I was naïve and never questioned why things are the way they are. Google/yahoo/bing will be your main aids in deciding on a university, and you will be expected to very much do it all yourselves. Part of me wants to educate you, another part of me wants you to undermine people in the education system. Don't ever feel like it's compulsory to go to university or like it's something you should do. Take notice of what people tell you but don't let it decide your career. Google search terms:

(whichever university you are considering) Complaints
The name of the university itself
University league tables
Most popular occupations
Whatever occupation you are considering
Occupation Questionnaires
Student Blogs for university
Students that regret going to university

Making notes will be expected of you at university so start making them now. Don't be afraid to question things, especially in a recession. If you look some universities up on youtube you will find that videos that have been uploaded by previous students have negative comments, but videos uploaded by the university never have any negative comments. I'm sure you do not need to be told why this is. I never questioned why my university would not let me talk to the third year students - obvious now really. Whatuni will not record certain things, such as a universities drop out rates. Whatuni was recording a 'Recommendation Rate' for each university but seem to have stopped doing so. The internet can be very deceiving so that certain people benefit. If you have a complaint about a university or any company really make a video and upload it to youtube/facebook - they hate that. Remember that some universities just want the tuition fees, they don't care about you or your future. I would not be surprised if universities and colleges are involved in corruption just to reduce unemployment and keep the tuition fees coming in. I'm really surprised that a university got 992 complaints in one year (see link below).

You only get one chance with an education and if people that you trust and rely on get it wrong there will be no second chance. People you rely on cannot be held liable. If you are going to comment here please do so if it benefits others, instead of just 'No' or 'Why is it like that?!'.

Some useful videos for you x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTMcIddDmC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybA7foDxp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_0x7_muhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvYPwx8rbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVXHPtar8rY&list=UUMZjUXSPErRjVL6gdQQ8hFg

Useful websites

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27640303

I hope this has been useful guys. Remember don't believe everything people tell you and the important research you need will need to be done by you!! There are things people will never tell you, usually because they have something to gain! It really your decision guys, but I would not even bother with careers advisors...they have ruined my life. There are things they should be doing now but they are not! If they were I'm certain there would be hardly anyone like charlotte above.

I wish you every success x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I suspect that the sooner you try to purge yourself of this inner hatred that you now have for careers advisors specifically and the higher education system in general, the better things will be for you. I hope that these threads are cathartic for you because life really is too short to harbour this kind of a grudge.
    Wow!! Thanks for your help!!!! I wish I'd taken your advice before going to uni!!
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    :banghead:

hahahahaha.

What Mist said.
    Copy the http and share it on Facebook. Glad to help.
    They're called advisors for a reason not 'you should follow every single word as gospel-sers'. Advice is there to help YOU make a decision, you cant blame someone if their advice didnt turn out how you wanted it
    I would not be surprised if universities and colleges are involved in corruption just to reduce unemployment and keep the tuition fees coming in.

I can't wait for you to justify this sentence.
    I'm really surprised that a university got 992 complaints in one year (see link below).

Anglia Ruskin has 31,000 students, and that list includes appeals as well as complaints. I'd say that a complaints rate of 0.03% actually disproves whatever it is you're wittering on about.
    If you have a complaint about a university or any company really make a video and upload it to youtube/facebook - they hate that.

Actually, they couldn't give two hoots if you vent about it on Facebook or YouTube. Unless you go to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator and win, they couldn't care less about some half-baked whingeing on Twitter.
    FFS - the usual people that comment on my posts, why can't you just accept what people write? I only comment if I think my comment will benefit others. Writing this has hopefully benefitted others, if people want to make up their own minds or gather information elsewhere it's down to them. Please don't clog up my threads with pointless arguments - find another way to occupy your mind. The information I have provided is just there to help people make up their minds, I never expect them to decide their careers based on the information above. Maybe I should tell some of you about things that you don't know about, that seems to shut you up.
    FFS - the usual people that comment on my posts, why can't you just accept what people write? I only comment if I think my comment will benefit others. Writing this has hopefully benefitted others, if people want to make up their own minds.

Maybe, just maybe the people who irk you so much for commenting and having an opinion or just better informed or more able to offer a balanced answer.

And I don't think this has benefitted anyone. Shame that.
    FFS - the usual people that comment on my posts, why can't you just accept what people write?

This is a message board where people share views and opinions. It doesn't hurt for people to provide balance and critique to things you write.
    FFS - the usual people that comment on my posts, why can't you just accept what people write? I only comment if I think my comment will benefit others.

I think it will benefit others by pointing out you're writing weapons-grade bollocks, and to provide a certain amount of balance to that.

If you don't want people to challenge your views, then the door is right over there.

It's a real shame you had a crappy time at University. It happens, Uni is not for everyone. But what you've written here needs challenging, because it is utterly wrong.
    Writing this has hopefully benefitted others, if people want to make up their own minds or gather information elsewhere it's down to them. Please don't clog up my threads with pointless arguments - find another way to occupy your mind.

Hey theonethatgotaway - in a community like this it's important to remember that there will always be people with differing opinions and personalities as well as life experience. If someone reads a post or thread that doesn't ring true to their experience it's likely they will want to comment to help provide some alternative views and a wider picture to those making decisions about university who might be reading your post.

Community forums aren't really a place for broadcasting, they're a place for discussion. Here at TheSite, there are quite a few members with positive experiences of university so it's going to be hard for them to not want to comment on your posts as, like you, they also feel really strongly about their experiences.

As you have said, all of the 'advice' out there is for individuals to process and make their own decisions from at the end of the day :) You've made a few posts on this topic now so I'm sure those interested will find them.

A few members have mentioned that they'd like to help you move forward, to find new goals for the future? Is that something you're interested in exploring at the moment?
    As you have said, all of the 'advice' out there is for individuals to process and make their own decisions from at the end of the day You've made a few posts on this topic now so I'm sure those interested will find them.

....and I will continue to give this advice Jo as there are things which even I don't know about. I have recently discovered that colleges are removing comments on youtube. It might appear to some that this is not the case but if you log out the comments cannot be viewed by anyone. All they care about is the tuition fees and keeping unemployment down. Don't ever trust people that work in the education system!
    A few members have mentioned that they'd like to help you move forward, to find new goals for the future? Is that something you're interested in exploring at the moment?

I don't really have any. I have wasted ten yrs of my life so my goals now are somewhat restricted. All anyone wants in this world is your money!!