Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When's the right time to say 'I love you'?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cheryl Cole recently got married (congratulations to her!) after dating her partner for 3 months.

Looking at this, The Daily Mail have written a piece about when the right time to say 'I love you' to someone is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2701568/When-right-time-say-I-love-Too-early-look-desperate-late-miss-magic-maybe-Cheryl-held-off.html

Every relationship is different, but do you think that you can you love someone after 3 months of knowing them, or do you think it takes longer? :heart:

Comments

• Options
    I don't really have much to say but I wanted to mention that I do think you can love someone after three months, you just can't completely know someone in that short amount of time. So you can say 'I love you' and mean it but getting married in three months is far too sudden as you're still getting to know one another. What if you come across some information that you don't like that could completely change the relationship forever (for example, he could say I don't want kids).

Getting back to the point though, yes I definitely think you can love someone after just three months :)
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I wouldn't say it after three months, for me (and this is completely personal and a lot to do with personal issues) I would say after years. I find it worrying that love can mean the short term delight and romance, but the caring/compassionate side of it as well. The two aspects can go together, but not that often I think, and so one word means all can be a confusing and potentially hurtful illusion in a few cases. I'd prefer it if someone said it to me after a long time and when we'd had a few arguments, worked out a bad patch or two, and we'd seen each other through unflattering/bad times for both of us.
  • Options
    I don't think many people would wait year to be told that you love them. I know I would leave if I hadn't been told within 3 months.

I think me and MrRiot told each other within the first month. I don't think there is a "right" time asides from when it feels right. Yes it's difficult to work out when it's lust or love but I think that there is no sure fire way to work out which is which asides from giving it a go and if it goes wrong you just have to put it down to experience and move on.