Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

When to give advice, and when to step back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wrote this as a response to a post by another user in a different thread - but then thought it might derail that thread. However, it's a point that I still want to make so I figured I'd put it up here instead.

Some musings on when to give advice....

If you're struggling to get on with people on here you might want to have a think about how much you weigh into threads, and which ones you get into. These are advice boards, not instruction boards - so you can offer advice but that has to be with a realisation that it might not suit the circumstances - or people might chose not to take it. It can be very frustrating at times, so it can be worth stepping back and taking a break when needed.

It's also good to be careful of making too many positive 'it'll all be ok' type comments, because sometimes in life things won't work out ok in the end. There are some really, really rubbish bits in life, and they don't always work out ok for everyone. These boards are a great place for people to get support when life is being sucky to them, but the rest of us need to be a little bit sensitive to that.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    You've worded it just perfectly :heart:

I must admit I'm one of those who has the occasional 'It will be okay' type comments, and it's not to say I don't consider that things might not be okay, but it's a strange way of showing hope, however, I shall try my up-most to bear it in mind :heart: