Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Ex Factor!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So you have broken up with your partner of 4 years - there were just some issues within the relationship which couldn’t be resolved.

However you had more than just a romantic relationship. Over the years you developed a friendship. Perhaps he/she is your best friend and that is something you want to remain in your life. You can’t imagine your life without them in it – so you decide you’ll be friends.

An article on www.elitedaily.com highlights the reasons why you and an ex will never be friends.

Do you agree?

Is it ever truly possible to have a purely platonic relationship with an ex?

If yes do you think this will have implications on future relationships? :chin:

I personally don’t think you can ever truly be friends. You may be able to develop a surface friendship but I feel it will require so many rules and such a lot of work that the friendship in the end may not be providing you with what you had envisaged in the first place.

I also think that being best/close friends may cause you not to pursue other relationships and if you do happen to start new relationship cause an insecurity in a new partner.

Or to even put a twist on it you may end up ditching/being ditched when the other party finds someone else – causing more heartache.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't read the article, but I know people who are on very good and friendly terms with ex-partners. Generally articles that say "Why X will NEVER happen" are mostly bullshit. Yes, maybe in the majority of cases, because breakups usually happen because of insurmountable differences that are cause for fights and resentment, but sometimes people just realize that they are just way better as friends than partners.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I haven't read the article, but I know people who are on very good and friendly terms with ex-partners. Generally articles that say "Why X will NEVER happen" are mostly bullshit. Yes, maybe in the majority of cases, because breakups usually happen because of insurmountable differences that are cause for fights and resentment, but sometimes people just realize that they are just way better as friends than partners.
    Exactly. I have exes who are some of my best friends.
  • Options
    While that article raises valid points and more than likely applies to a lot of people out there, you certainly can't blanket that by using the language used, like StrubbleS said. That article's more "why you and your ex may not be friends".