Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Realistic outlook on drugs?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think crazykiss is referring to the negative effects that cannot be helped (more so long term, I'm guessing?). Which I think is a valid point. People talk about being 'safe', but there is no way to eliminate a lot of negative effects; surely that means there is no safe way to do some things? Like long term marijuana use affecting memory and general cognitive function, as well as having an effect on your general mood. Also the potential to cause psychosis. But I guess these are a danger more for frequent long term users - not necessarily minor recreational users.

Would that be fair to say?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The risk involved in taking ecstasy is comparable to horse riding. It is certainly less than skiing.
    Weekender Offender 
    They are all just as bad for u so that a what I ment with the negative effects of taking drugs. Can lead to really problems with paranoia, feeling sick and dizzy all the time. Correct what James said about it will have a longer turn effect and can lead to something like phycosis, that's why it's never best to start raking drugs as it gonna be addicted for life.
    Skive wrote: »
    The risk involved in taking ecstasy is comparable to horse riding. It is certainly less than skiing.

I think this is really interesting, and certainly does speak volumes about the misconceptions. Something I've always thought though is that you can be a 'safe' horse rider - but the drug is in control of you, essentially. It's not like a horse where you are controlling it. You can't control what it does to your body. I also think a lot of people overlook effects other than death.

ie: the mental side of things, long term physical wear, the personality changes, potential of addiction, etc

Am I totally barking up the wrong tree? Is this another negativity filled thought?
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    They are all just as bad for u so that a what I ment with the negative effects of taking drugs.

They are not just as bad for you. Some are definitely worse for you than others.

Can lead to really problems with paranoia, feeling sick and dizzy all the time. Correct what James said about it will have a longer turn effect and can lead to something like phycosis, that's why it's never best to start raking drugs as it gonna be addicted for life.

Whilst these problem are linked with the use of some they are no always common and certainly not guaranteed with use of any drug.
    Certainly most people who use drugs do not become addicted even when using them for years.
    MikeS wrote:
    I think this is really interesting, and certainly does speak volumes about the misconceptions. Something I've always thought though is that you can be a 'safe' horse rider - but the drug is in control of you, essentially. It's not like a horse where you are controlling it. You can't control what it does to your body. I also think a lot of people overlook effects other than death.

Well my missus breaks horses for a living and runs a horse yard. She would disagree about always being safe on a horse and dispute that you are always in control. A horse is a very powerful animal and, if it wants to do something it will.

As for not being able to control what drugs do to your body, it's no different than drinking alcohol - do too much and you will find that you do indeed lose control but in moderation the effects are enjoyable and well within control.
    MikeS wrote:
    ie: the mental side of things, long term physical wear, the personality changes, potential of addiction, etc

All of those are things to be aware of but they are not guaranteed. If you abuse something for long enough you will have problems, be it weed, ecstasy, alcohol or asprin.

If you want to watch a good objective documentary about different drugs and their dangers then I recommend this one.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3gIuWYnQo[/video]
    Weekender Offender 
    I can understand what it saying Skive but I was only making a point in using drugs and the effects it has. I don't know much about it myself cuz I've never done them and never will but I just wanted to put my point across about the subject.

There's no postives about using drugs, any drugs u use are all bad for u. This is very common but I have to disagree with u when u said if u take it for a year u won't be addicted. One year is a long time so how won't u addicted to it? I can see if u take it more then a year of course he gonna start having problems but never heard that taking drugs for that amount of time will not make u addicted to it.

You did have a point when u said if u mess around with drugs then u will have the problems there straight aware as what I said above so taking any other drugs will do the damage to u either way.

That's why I said to u that I was I only making a point in the subject in the first place and I didn't want tocome across like I knew everything . I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
    There's no postives about using drugs, any drugs u use are all bad for u.

Not strictly true. Many drugs have positive applications. Heroin (diamorphine) is one of the most effective analgesics, and has been used to save many thousands of lives, Ketamin has anesthetic benefits, amphetamine has medical benefits for weight loss, ecstasy has potential to treat PTSD, Cannabis has a huge amount of medical applications.
    Recreational use of drugs isn't all bad either. We use alcohol recreationally - most of us do so suffering no worse than a hangover. Don't let legality of something determine weather you think something is dangerous or not. The fact that taking drugs can be fun is a massive positive in my mind.
    This is very common but I have to disagree with u when u said if u take it for a year u won't be addicted. One year is a long time so how won't u addicted to it? I can see if u take it more then a year of course he gonna start having problems but never heard that taking drugs for that amount of time will not make u addicted to it.

This is not true. I have been taking drugs for over 15 years. I have never had a dependence or addiction to any of the drugs I've taken. I have always been able to take them or leave them. The truth is that most people who use drugs are not addicted to them, they choose to take them because they are fun.

I think you need to stop having such a simplistic view on drugs. It's good that your entering discussions about them though. I would suggest doing a bit of reading on them. The politics around drugs is fascinating in itself, you don't have to take them for drugs to be an interesting subject. :)
    Weekender Offender 
    I still don't agree with taking it only for a year and nothing happens to u. I don't know anyone who has said that to me that they dont feel at all different. I'm not going on about the science as that's not the actual point, the point I'm making is drugs are no good for u and none of them is slightly better to use cuz they all have their problems. That's what I ment.

Again I said I don't know much about using drugs cuz I needed to feel the need to but from what anyone else can say about drugs learning about it at school will agree that drugs shouldn't be messes with and if u use them u gonna have major problems down the line and if that dont make sense then what does?

There's no easy route to get what u want out of them with no complications, I just don't understand that. I've known not to use them as it can do this this and this and going there is a no go so that's how I have been brought up.

That's all I'm saying now.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    the point I'm making is drugs are no good for u and none of them is slightly better to use cuz they all have their problems. That's what I ment.
    You said that a while ago. Then people offered counter-points. You never addressed these points at all. You only keep repeating your original one. This makes it crystal clear that you're not even willing to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Taking part in a discussion while thinking there's no way you could be wrong isn't only pointless, it's an insult to logic.
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I really am. I'm wrong and it right, its fine. You deserve to have it say. I won't say no more :)
    I dont think youve offended anybody. I just think youre a bit niave about this subject, your views are definitely too simplistic.
    Different drugs have different properties. Not all of them are bad for you all of the time. Its not a black and white subject.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I really am. I'm wrong and it right, its fine. You deserve to have it say. I won't say no more :)
    It's not an offence (not to a person in any case). Saying "I'm wrong and you're right" is no better than what you said before. The point is that you start reconsidering your ideas instead of holding on to them no matter what or throwing them away because you think you offended someone. In the end you may have the same opinion as before or a completely different one, that's not important. The important thing is that you'll have thought about it, and so far you haven't (as far as I can see).
    Skive wrote: »
    I dont think youve offended anybody. I just think youre a bit niave about this subject, your views are definitely too simplistic.
    Different drugs have different properties. Not all of them are bad for you all of the time. Its not a black and white subject.
    Pretty much.

I use weed when I'm sleeping badly because I find it helps me in the same way the (prescription anti-psychotic) medication I take at night does. The only difference being that I've never found that I get used to the effects in the same way I do my meds.

I've never tried anything else but I really want to try ecstasy to see how it affects me. I think it could be fun.
    Loving the length of this thread so far, such an interesting read. :) Skive in particular, thanks for the depth of information. Very helpful indeed.
    I got into class A drugs as a teenager and spent a number of years injecting and doing what ever it could to get money to buy drugs.. I did some time in prison, lost custody of my first born son, sold my body and thankfully finally got so low that I sought help back then 20 odd years ago there was a lot more funding available and I was offered a place in rehab, I stayed for just under two years... Totally turned my life around and never looked back.... Until about four years ago someone offered me a line of coke which I accepted.... I was arrogant enough to believe that I could pick it up and put it down at will.... I thought after being totally clean for twenty odd years that i was untouchable , I did a bit then bought a bit then a bit more etc.... Four years later I use it most days... I manage my life ok ish but the thing is I can get wrecked and lie to myself that it's nothing like before when I was injecting heroin.... And in many ways it isn't but other than the first few lines making me feel good the next few grams that I pack into my already inflamed nose are done out of compulsion and drive to try and find that buzz again... Drugs lie to you, you end up with nothing... The party has to end somewhere and when it does.... I'm always the one left wide awake and skint..... Don't bother even trying drugs cos the danger is you may like them...
    As you can see there are some contrasting views and experiences on drugs after all, everybody's different and every drug is different.

If you want a realistic outlook then I think you need to find a balance. Most people who try drugs can and do use them recreationally and without many problems. There will always be a risk however, and some people will develop issues through the use of drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
    It's definitely eye opening hearing everyone's views on the topic. I didn't expect them to be quite so contrasting. Thanks for your input in this thread Skive, much appreciated. :)