Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What unpopular opinions do you have?

1323334353638»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If we privatise the NHS we will probably save money on pensions
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    In what way is there a generalised retirement age?

Well like i know its increasing but it was about 65? and in a lot of case studies i looked at when people reach what's considered a retirement age employers tend to be pushy about getting people to retire at that point and is also tends to be an influence of decisions, etc which i guess can but good, but for someone also may not be. I just think the idea should be scrapped and it should be made more of a personal plan.
    I don't think immigration is a problem.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

All immigration or just legal immigration?
    Should we just have an open border for everybody?
    Weekender Offender 

I think round these parts that's probably one of the most popular opinions you could espouse.

Here's an unpopular one for you: the Tories are better at managing the economy than Labour. And as a corollary, everyone who talked like austerity was going to bring about the apocalypse needs to lay themselves prostrate in front of record employment figures, a reduced deficit and promising growth figures.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

It depends on where you live. Near me there are huge problems with immigration and at the weekend protest marches from EDL and UAF. It's not going to be pretty at all.

I'm going to be even more unpopular and say that both the 'immigration is a problem' and 'immigration isn't a problem' are extremely simplistic positions and that whether it's a problem depends on a) who the immigrant is b) who you are (ie are you the skilled, well paid middle class who benefit from the cheap labour and downward push on wages or are you a semi-skilled and unskilled working class who finds their wages being pushed down by people who will work for lower pay) and c) whether the inward remittances to the immigrants country makes up for the loss of young and often (to local standards at least) skilled and educated people
    I don't think immigration is that much of a problem people are making out. Before the government hardly did anything to prevent immigrants coming to our country but it's only now that the government knows that this problem won't go away and have to do something about it. I can understand why people are worked up on the fact that there's too many foreign people coming to our country because of lack of jobs, not enough homes and more of polish shops so there needs to be an equal rounder boarder for us all.

There needs to be a lot more jobs for one and more houses two and the fact is that prices for food, homes and businesses are going up don't help us facing the recession. The thing I don't get is why our country is suffering so much? You don't see other countries putting there prices up or anything. Ok I know there's not enough to go around but we shouldn't have to help other countries in poor circumstances when were already suffering as it is.

Good to do programmes like children in need and comic relief but we should know put our country first and try and sort out our mess of a society. Hopefully with the new election coming up we can get a stable government who will do something finally and whoever is in power should face up to the responsibility.

I don't like the conservatives as they are all stuck up and think highly of the private schools as in the rich, liberal democrats only think about improving the state of the nhs and how to vote for them with being a party who will help the public sector and focus more of the health care and nothing else and UKIP are just racist and only care about getting votes and stopping migrants coming in. Everyone has the right to come into this country so what kind of example is this setting for us? The only one I would vote for is Labour as I believe and trust there views on employment, nhs, immigration and house prices etc.

They are trying to sort out every bit of the puzzle which needs sorting dramaticly so we can all get a better life. Does anyone agree? Which party do u support?
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Just to add another level to the immigration debate, the OECD released their predictions about the global economy for the next four-five decades. They reckon that to sustain anything close to current levels of global growth, we'll need waaay more immigration. Millions more to be precise:
    OECD wrote:
    And then there's the migration problem. To make the central scenario work, Europe and the USA each have to absorb 50 million migrants between now and 2060, with the rest of the developed world absorbing another 30 million. Without that, the workforce and the tax base shrinks so badly that states go bust.

URL="http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/07/capitalism-rich-poor-2060-populations-technology-human-rights-inequality"]source[/URL

An interesting report all told. Pretty bleak in most ways!
    Th I do hear what it saying. Can't stop immigrants coming into our country as it's againist the law but we can help sort out the population of how many people are coming to us to work etc. It is annoying that employers hire foreign workers to do there jobs cuz they are more skilled apparently but that's not very true. Deserve to be given just the right amount of opportunities as them. I think immigration can be a good thing but also bad. Hopefully with the election coming up we can tackle this situation and others like the nhs, employment, house prices and food banks etc.
    Slightly off topic but has anyone seen this spoken word poem in regards to immigration? http://m.youtube.com/?hl=en-GB&gl=GB#/watch?v=bJX5XHnONTI

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    Ellie :) wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but has anyone seen this spoken word poem in regards to immigration? http://m.youtube.com/?hl=en-GB&gl=GB#/watch?v=bJX5XHnONTI

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Link doesn't seem to be working. I'd love to hear it though. :)

Probably that the meat and dairy industry exploit animals needlessly. It's cruel and unnecessary.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    This one should work guys:
    I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread? Not the more-of-the-particular-brand-of-homogeneous-liberal-thought-that's-ubiquitous on-TheSite thread! :D

"Immigration ain't a zero sum game
    And not all immigration is the same
    But your one-sided take is unwise
    And owns its part in UKIP's rise"

- Cptcoathanger 2014 all rights reserved
    My unpopular opinion is, that you can still lie, even if you like big butts.

I know I am such a case.