Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO parents - travelling with a toddler

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
MrRiot, Riotmama, MrRiot's 2 year old son and Riotdog will all be piling into the car and heading off to Cornwall for a few days in under a months time. We're travelling about 5 hrs in the car (with stops due to the dog and needing to stretch my legs) and staying in a caravan (which is off grid, only has solar panels for lighting). He's in the middle of being toilet trained and he's not used to long drives (in fact he's probably only done this trip once before).

Any tips on what I'll need to take and how we can entertain little one on the drive and keep him entertained whilst there? We're going to the Eden project one day, and the beach another but I'm not sure what to do if the weather isn't great - although we're about 2 miles from MrRiot's mum's house.

Any ideas would be really helpful - I'm thinking iPad and films might be a start as well as a colouring book and some crayons, but not sure what else!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where in Cornwall?
    Films on the iPad are good. A lot of patience is also good. Stuff for nibbling on that won't make a sticky mess. Pillow to encourage sleeping. If the car doesn't have air con, then someway of keep the sun off his car seat.
    In the car you'll need a sun screen for the window where he's sitting- even with aircon- and something for him to rest his head on when he falls asleep. iPad, books, all those sorts of things will be useful.

And stop plenty of times, probably once an hour if you can- although keep driving if he's fallen asleep!
    Near St Austall is where we're staying.

He's got a comfy car seat which he falls asleep in doing a quick trip down the M5 and the car has air con and built in sun blinds.

Not sure what to do snacks wise as both him and his dad are very fussy little things! I might try them most on houmous (but that's probably not great to have in the car maybe?). He doesn't have the attention to be read to, he just wants to see the pictures!

I have to stretch my legs ever couple of hours (and get the dog out - not done more than 2 hours in the car with him either, but he's a fairly good traveller)
    There is Mevagissy a nice harbour town nearby which has lovely shops and cafés which you can nip in and out if it's raining. Alternatively there is http://www.kidzworldcornwall.co.uk but not sure what exactly it has on for toddlers. Bodmin has a steam railway which could be cool. Screech Owl Sanctuary is well set up for the rain, as you can sit in the dry and the keepers bring different owls for you to look at (and stroke some). Dairyland Farm World in Newquay would be another good place to visit.

A bit further away (about 40 minutes drive) in Penryn is a soft play area called Raze the Roof, and in Falmouth the National Maritime Muesum. Along the same theme there is the Charlestone Shipwreck centre which is nearer to St Austell.

Otherwise I say embrace the rain! Raincoat & wellies and enjoy the countryside and the puddles :)
    I've also found out about the monkey sanctuary in Looe and I think the steam trains are going to have to be a must for this little Thomas the tank engine fan as well!!

Might have to get him a lightweight raincoat because his mum isn't great at getting him clothes that work for him. Got the wellies though!