Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Festival Moments competition: the ultimate playlist!

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
DSC02156-670x446.jpg

Festivals are full of memorable moments, whether it's dancing along to your favourite band playing your favourite song as the sun sets or dropping your expensive new iPhone into a stench-soaked toilet trough (as happened to a friend of mine :yuck:).

As part of creating the ultimate festival guide (see this thread), We're compiling the ultimate festival playlist and we need your help!

Post a song (e.g. from YouTube) that reminds you of a particular festival moment
Were you nearly crushed to oblivion in a mosh pit? Have you ever zoned out on the grass, taking in the beat and the sun? Got lost and ended up at the wrong stage? Gone berserk finally seeing that band you've been chasing for ages? Whatever your moment, tell us about it and post the song that takes you back there.

If you've never been to a festival, you post a song that you would love to hear at a festival. Why that song? Which festival? Who would you be with?

Everyone who posts a song and a mini-story will be entered into a prize draw to win one of two super-portable speaker systems from the guys over at eBuyer.com. (click the images for more info)

353537-409418-290.jpg 620314-388887-290.jpg

*presses play*
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would love to see the Kaiser chiefs live! Especially Ricky Wilson *cough cough* haha :p so any of their songs! The reason is, if you haven't guesses, I have a massive crush on Mr Wilson. Just think he's gorgeous haha. Don't know if that would be an acceptable answer?! I'm not that clued up on names of festivals so let's just say any! And I would take my best friend. We have a lot in common and are currently trying to put a scrapbook together of things we've done. This would be ace to put in there

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    At End of the Road a year or two ago, my friend was on shift so I was just sitting by myself watching Sigur Ros and crying and drinking whiskey wrapped up in a blanket.
    And I lost two of my toenails during this song after I jumped into the moshpit at the front of Bloc Party at Latitude (I think) barefoot.
    And lastly this...on the last night at a local festival in Hitchen with friends on my sixteenth birthday, this band were playing. And then my friends shouted out that it was my birthday and the band led everyone in the field in singing happy birthday to me!

ETA: sorry, I've had a mind blank and I've completely forgotten how to put videos in
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    This song (If there's a rocket tie me to it by Snow Patrol) reminds me of Sziget on the first night running across a huge field from our tent to the main stage to see Snow Patrol :)

(the rest of the week was a drunken blur really!)
    :heart:
    Don't worry, I'm not entering the comp but wanted to add something to the playlist!

The Summer after I graduated university (years ago! :crazyeyes ) I went to the Vans Warped Tour in San Diego California.

Sunshine and dancing to this song with my best mate is a very fond memory knowing I had finished my degree!
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran

From CFL festival a few years ago ... cause it's catchy and we got to preform on stage with him :P
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Some great entries and amazing memories there guys! It never ceases to amaze me how evocative music can be!

Here's one from me (not entering the competition of course):

A friend bought surprise tickets to see Radiohead, who played this just as the sun sank beneath the horizon. They had some pretty incredible lighting and special effects going on too.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Agreed, loving the entries so far.

Here's my also 'unofficial' entry... Taken from festival diaries back in 2005.

Working at Glasto as a volunteer journalist back in the dark ages, I was on my way to see KT Tunstall - I could see her ahead on the 'Other' stage and could hear 'Black Horse and The Cherry Tree' with a wave of muddy people bopping about. Focused on the path towards them, I bumped into an ex-boyfriend of mine who I had a relationship with when I was 17. It was such a strange experience, but I decided to spend some time with him. After KT had finished her performance, we went off to see a really fun band in the Dance field called The Beat. Not only did they rock the dance stage, but my ex is a great dancer so seeing him was entertainment in itself. Afterwards we agreed that we probably wouldn't be able to meet up again, but he said it had "made his day" to see me, and bumping into him had certainly brightened mine.

If you want to read more about that experience, you can do in a probably soon to be extinct article on TheSite.

This song still gets me every time. :D
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm not entering the comp but wanted to add something to the playlist!

The Summer after I graduated university (years ago! :crazyeyes ) I went to the Vans Warped Tour in San Diego California.

Sunshine and dancing to this song with my best mate is a very fond memory knowing I had finished my degree!

Haha jo I was going to post ur forever going to gigs on ur days ur never in the office :P

Supergrass played at a local music festival when I was a teenager. My best friend and I went to the festival, she was very unwell and it was the last summer we spent together before she died. We had priority viewing and despite how ill she was, she enjoyed every single moment and we both danced and sang along to this song in particular because it was so fitting for the moment.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family

So watching Anthrax at Bloodstock last year and there were these middle aged, rather large, metalhead biker guys going for it in front of us. It was great to watch them dance and sing along and then THIS beauty of a song came on and it got about 100x better. Just listen to the chorus. They changed the lyrics to 'Chicken on my head' and were enthusiastically screaming out these new lyrics along with doing movements to match them. Couldn't stop laughing.

And then two younger guys wondered along, whilst this was happening, dressed in robes with head scarf things on with signs saying caught in a mosque.
    Jesus-bloodstock-cradle-of-filth.jpg
    And I can't think of the Anthrax set without remembering this.

I'm not sure if I can get into trouble for any of this but it was an entertaining highlight nonetheless.
    Has to be when I saw Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip perform this at Leopallooza 2 years ago. I'd never seen them or heard them, really, before this and they ended up becoming a fav (particularly Scroob).

It was my first proper festival experience and it was incredible - the heavens opened at absolutely drenched everyone but it made the atmosphere so much better. I even remember my girlfriend's hair dye running and she's pretty much turned red by the end, haha. Dan Le Sac, who does the electronic side of their music, had to put a towel over himself and his laptop on stage. The crowd was going mental after Scroobius Pip said "The weather's not going to stop us, and certainly isn't going to stop you." They'd thrown out glow sticks and huge balloons that were tied to the stage. There's something about that song as well... being so beat and bass driven, it felt so immersive and I just got so lost in the moment. I was with my girlfriend too (we'd just got together) and it was our first proper moment like that as a couple; the first time we'd seen each other since we got together as well (being long distance) and there's no one I would rather have spent that time with. I was even dancing, and I don't dance. Ever. Left that set on such a high, the talent on that stage was mind blowing. One of the best nights ever, never going to forget it!

Sidenote: When we got back to our tent we realised we'd left it open. We were in the staff area so nothing was pinched but everything was, well and truly, soaked through. So worth it. ;)
    Great moments everyone!

Keep 'em coming!

Annaarrr: You could post that photo to our festival photo competition (and potentially win a camera!) ;)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    It's not my photo!!
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    It's not my photo!!

Haha, fair enough.
    Good to see you posted a couple of your own though :)
    This playlist is shaping up nicely!

The competition closes at 5pm today (Tuesday 29th of July), so last chance to get your entries in! (of course you can keep posting afterwards too ;) )

After 5pm I'll create it on Spotify and we'll have a prize draw!
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I forgot about this!
    Even though I've never been to a festival, I often like watching BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend when it is on and I pretend I'm there.
    So the song I would love to hear at a festival would be Example - Kickstarts. I would choose this song because the tune is very dancey music in which will get everyone raving. The festival would have to be BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend as I have always wanted to go there :) The people I would be would have to be my best friend and some of my closest friends from college.
    ah this was hard, ive never been to a proper/ huge festival however did go to Kasabians summer Solstice this summer due to them being a local band along with most of the city so id have to pick them!
    ^ Nice one guys ;)

Just to say there are now 2 prizes up for grabs! See the first post for details.
    The competition is closed!

We put everyone's names into a hat and drew out the two winners...

BeckiBoo and MikeS!!

Congratulations you two :)
    I'll be in touch via PM shortly!
    James wrote: »

BeckiBoo and MikeS!!

Oh! :D
    James wrote: »

BeckiBoo and MikeS!!

congrats you two :)