Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job hunting tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im starting on making an organised effort into job hunting. I have a number of online sources that I can regularly check but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or helpful hints on how to make this as organised and effective as possible?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm

I normally spell something different such as 'administration' and 'admin'. Or 'photo' and 'photography'.

If you search for a job when it was posted so many days ago, I've come to realise there's no point in searching every day. You could search say, for the past 1 or 2 day's.

You could widen or shorten your job area you're willing to travel in.

Might be an idea to send emails/letters with your CV to various companies/firms instead of you waiting for them to place an advert somewhere.

One job search I do 99% of the time is to leave out the job title and just put in the postcode or town you live in put in a distance you want to travel. You might get about 100 jobs or so, but as least you're searching for one. You could also 'Exclude' job titles search as manager, pa, sales etc, depending on what you're not interested in doing.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    In terms of organising your search quite a few organisations have a mailing list that will alert you if any new jobs come up - that saves you checking for new jobs at your favourite places lots of times.

I'd have a list of sources that I would go through in full every day or two - you can sometimes save your search terms to come back to them easily. You can also then limit searches on everything to "past two days" or whatever works.

And consider using recruiters too - they have a generous financial incentive to get you into work, so will have a good go!
    Hi Lexi, I am kind of in the same boat as u apart from I do have work at the moment but it's a short term thing. For ways in which u could expand ur job arisens is to go on recruitment websites where they tell u what latest jobs have come today and how many days the last job was advertised. Job websites like Indeed, reed, Total Jobs and Employment Lemon are good ones to search for jobs and apply on there. I do this all the time if I look up a job on there I'm interested in and just apply on there. You could go on the actual website they are advertising the job but some jobs what are from an agency more likely to advertise on recruitment sites. Best to look at those job sites I have given u before u apply on there and see wethe u like using searching for jobs that way.

Always keep ur cv up to date on the goings out of ur work experience. Always start with the most recent to the less recent job u have done. Don't worry it u had no work, u can put what u have done in past from going on a course to work experience all in the work history section in middle of the page. Remember that the employer wants to see what u have done with urself so make sure u put everything down in t he correct order starting from most recent and make it easy for the employer to read so good spelling and grammer is a must.

I'm not sure where ur at with finding work but if u have been looking for work for a very long time and u still not got anywhere with jobs getting back to u or inviting u for interview then the best way to manage ur time ahead is to either gain more experience in doing unpaid work a couple of times a week in a shop or warehouse or u could maybe think about going to start up a college course with learning some new skills so that in time when u are still replying to jobs u can put ur new skills on ur cv to show them that u have not just done nothing and something with ur time. Did u know volunteering looks good on ur cv? Shows u can do anything, ur reliable, punctual, get on well in a team and u meet deadlines etc. Just like what u would do if u had a proper job. Remember that those skills can also be earned by doing unpaid work. Employers will look at that and think how much u have done in a short space of time and hopefully it will get ur face through the door. Don't give up as ur nearly there, it takes time.

There's more useful information on work by the site website where u can go onto the menu bar and search for the subject work and click on there to see what else u can do to improve ur employment history. There's this website a bit like the site but it's called the surgery and there's loads of advice on eneeything u need to know about relationships to finding work. The age range for people wh st use the site is 16-25 year olds.

I hope this helps u to feel more confident in the wide world of work and remember that ur not on ur owncuz there's people out there who are finding work just as hard . Your young and got a lot of potential so dont put urself down as ur worthy to be employed. Sometimes it can be a luck thing but other times it could just be down to the experience. Theres tips on how to sell urself at an interview on the site website and advice on cv building when applying for jobs with having a cover letter at the ready two.

Good a luck and I'm sure u will find a job soon as hard work pays off eventually.

Get In touch with anymore advice I can give u on the topic Looking for work :)
    I havent been looking that long, Ive only been in my current job 4 months but want to move on. Im also a bit iffy about recruitment agents. I ended up in my job because I went through one and it was partly my fault because i didnt know what i wanted but i felt like i was pushed into this job so she could get a big pay out!
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I havent been looking that long, Ive only been in my current job 4 months but want to move on. Im also a bit iffy about recruitment agents. I ended up in my job because I went through one and it was partly my fault because i didnt know what i wanted but i felt like i was pushed into this job so she could get a big pay out!

Me too. One job I applied for (by email) was through a recruitment agency and they didn't have the courtesy of emailing/phoning me back about the outcome of the job they advertised. See this thread.

I also joined two different ones at the beginning of this year and I haven't heard anything back from them. Useless.
    Yh it is a waiting game so I agree with that. You know if they get back to u or not. Not every firm like them are all the same as each other. I have someone who works for an agency and they got back to him straight away and he got the job. Depends which one u go for. The only thing is those kind of agencies like people to work ar busy times of the year or term times so u may not get to do enough hours as like another job u can.

Better to apply for jobs u know what are permanent so u don't end back to square one having no job. I know with finding normal work is really tough as there's a lot of people who go for same job but it's not any different from a recruitment place where I could get the job straight away. There's an article on work from The Site pages so that maybe helpful for u.

Don't give up as u will get somewhere in the end as only so much nos u can recieve on a daily basis. Keep looking for jobs by internet cuz that seems to be going well for u and update ur cv by checking before u send it off and always have a cover letter prepared to go with ur cv. Handing around ur cv maybe a good idea two as the employer would of already have known what u look like and remember first impressions count. What type of work are u looking for?