Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's backbone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone seen these films?

I am studying them at university next academic year as part of Iberian and Latin American studies I believe (I got hold of last years student guidebook thingy so I would think they study the same films next year for the film part of culture studies). Any comments? I've bought them but I'm scared to watch them as they look scary :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pan's labyrinth is not scary. In my opinion it's not particularly good, either - bit dull I thought, though plenty of people rave about it.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and quite enjoyed it (despite the magical realism!)
    As Mist said, it's not particularly scary though
    The Devil's Backbone is scary - it has the usual small child seeing and hearing things that other people can't. It isn't jumpy though, just quite creepy. I found it sad more than anything though, because it's mostly about lonely children rather than ghosts.

Pan's Labyrinth isn't scary, apart from one scene (the scary character's called the Pale Man if you want to look him up beforehand so he isn't a surprise). The step-father's quite aggressive and violent though, which might be upsetting.

For scary films that I need to watch for classes (I HATE horror films) I generally read the plot through, watch clips online, and do any of the recommended reading that the class calls for first. Then I watch the film with a pen and paper, making notes on it and considering things like the way it's been filmed/translated/references to other films and various things like that. And I try not to get immersed in it and just look at it critically.
    Thanks guys.

I think that's a very good idea Grace, I hadn't thought of that before.
    grace wrote: »
    The Devil's Backbone is scary - it has the usual small child seeing and hearing things that other people can't. It isn't jumpy though, just quite creepy. I found it sad more than anything though, because it's mostly about lonely children rather than ghosts.

Pan's Labyrinth isn't scary, apart from one scene (the scary character's called the Pale Man if you want to look him up beforehand so he isn't a surprise). The step-father's quite aggressive and violent though, which might be upsetting.

For scary films that I need to watch for classes (I HATE horror films) I generally read the plot through, watch clips online, and do any of the recommended reading that the class calls for first. Then I watch the film with a pen and paper, making notes on it and considering things like the way it's been filmed/translated/references to other films and various things like that. And I try not to get immersed in it and just look at it critically.

I got through the Devil's backbone this afternoon, I actually quite enjoyed it. I did have an interval half way through which helped and I watched it in daylight on my small laptop screen with the sound fairly low (as it was subtitles anyway of course so didn't really need to be able to hear that much). :)
    Pan's Labyrinth is a beautiful movie. It deftly interweaves a whimsical yet hauntingly dark fairy tail with the harsh reality of an actual human conflict (the spanish civil war). The lead characters need for escapism is at once heartbreaking as it is uplifting and the art direction is similarly as entrancing as it is horrifying - the hands-for-eyes monster has scared a few people I know:
    pans-labyrinth-600x337.jpg
    That being said I did make myself a custom calendar here out of all the creature scenes (a thing I do for my fav movie of the previous year) so I guess horror like beauty is in the eye of the beholder