Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Problems at work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heyy..

Really unsure if this is the right place to put this, if not feel free to shift it to the correct area.

Pretty much, there's been quite a few problems at work... And I don't really know what to do. This girl Ciara, she hates me guts, has done from the day and hour I walked in. Both me and Ciara went to the same secondary school and she's just two years older than me. At the start I ignored the way she was acting towards me. But this summer it's became more obvious (Ciara is only working with us during the Summer and Easter times due to uni), the things she's been saying has been getting worse, she's told me to kill myself, drop dead, she's hit me, punched me, threw boiling water at me, and just been down right horrible.

During uni times when Ciara is not there I love being in work, the customers have even noticed a change in how I act when she's there. believe it or not I am quite a talkative person in work, but now she's back I'm just silent, I'm to scared to speak incase she hurts me again.

I have said to my line manager about it, but he said I was just seeing things, after she punched me in the face another member of staff reported it to my line manager and that was the end of it. Pretty much I'm scared to even go into work now, I've got a 9 hour shift with her tomorrow, then a 6 hour shift with her on Sunday. I'm scared that it's going to get worse, my line manager wont be with us tomorrow so it will just be me her and another member off staff who hates me for different reasons.

Another thing is, I asked my line manager for two day's off next month, due to traveling for an interview in Scotland, before going to my line manager I checked the book to see if anyone had the two day's that I needed booed off, no one had it off, so I asked if it was possible if I could have it. I was refused the two day's off, yet someone after me was given two weeks off to go on holiday, I had explained to my line manager that it was for an interview as part of my collage course and it would only be two days. He said that if I wanted any holiday days off I had to wait till September then take it. Yet other people are allowed days off during the summer? I just don't get it.

Anyway... Sorry for posting I just don't know what to do anymore, Sorry once again.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's that bad why are you still working there?

Maybe the Citizen's Advice Bureau could help. It isn't fair on you and you shouldn't be treated like this especially when your manager thinks you're lying.
    If i did not have a family to support then i would just leave, its not that simple. We don't have a Citizens Advice Bureau here... Sorry.
    Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_337 using Tapatalk
    why are you letting yourself be punched and hit?! and the boiling water thing...all these things are serious assault, nobody else would even think of going to work where this is happening never mind asking for advice on it? my advice: go to the police!
    Sorry...
    SuzyOwl remember what I said for u to do? You have no choice know to go to the police. This person needs to be reported. You can't suffer in silence no more, ur even too scared to go into work but I know u have no choice. Please speak out before it gets worse. The staff member who spoke to the line manager abo it what was happening maybe can help u report her to the police if u feel scared. Don't stop untill u get this girl reported and told. There is no way anyone u should another member of staff like this. I can't believe the customers even witnessed it. Report her now to the police.
    Sorry... Just forget I posted anything... Sorry..
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Suzy

Big hugs *hug* I am so sorry you are having to go through this!

Don't apologise we are all hear to listen and help, I think everyone is a bit shocked at how you are being treated. As the others have said it really isn't fair or safe for you to have to deal with this when at work.

You said you have tried to talk to your line manager, I am sorry they haven't been supportive or helpful. Is there anyone else you can speak to? Maybe their manager/ the owner? If you think you would struggle to explain it to them write it down and hand it to them. The place you work may have an anti bullying policy, many organisations take a zero tolerance stance on bullying so check to see if any of this is mentioned in your contract or policies.

There is lot's of advice here about being bullied at work.

I hope this helps a little, let us know how you are getting on - we are here to listen.
    I'm not allowing myself to be punched and hit, do you think I go into work asking for it to happen..? I've done nothing to her, yet it happens, like I said before, I don't have a choice of not going into work I've got a family I NEED to support I've got bills I have to pay otherwise my family will be homeless, I don't have a choice in the matter. If it was as simple as to just leave the job I would, but it's not that easy or I would do it!

I have to apologise, for getting in the way and bothering people. I've spoken to the owners too, but they just had the same reaction as my line manager. When I was offered the job, there was no contract or policies or anything. If I could I would just leave hand my notice in, but it's not that simple,as I said I've got a family that I need to put first.

What's happening at work is something that I've experienced my full life, I don't know why I thought that work would be any different. The girl will be gone soon back to uni untill Easter so I won't have to see her till then.
    saying sorry doesn't help anything, you need to help yourself. I find some of your tales unbelievable sometimes, who has that happen to them at their place of work but doesn't do anything?! please help yourself.
    It's not a tale... It's the truth, I knew the moment I posted it I should not have.. And I have reported it, so I'm not just doing nothing.
    Why won't you report it to the police?
    They do nothing, arleady spoke to them. There'snothing they can do. If she did it on the street, then they can take action.
    so if I'm walking down the street and I decide to throw boiling water at somebody or punch them, I could get in trouble. but if I go to work and do it it's perfectly okay? can you see how ridiculous that sounds? next time report it to the police ASAP, while you're still at work!
    Hi suzyowl, did u go to work today? If u did what happened today? Sometimes it's goof to write things down in a diary and say about ur day and what u did, who u did it with and where u did can help u understand a bit more what's been happening and why it's making u feel the way it makes u feel. Does help u to understand a bit more on what's going on around u even if u don't wanna speak to someone or can't.

There a contract u signed before u started work? Meaning did the job say anything about the terms and conditions in the contract, if so it's best to trace that up with ur line manager and as for the bullying well I suppose u have tried asking everyone to help u but no luck so the only conclusions is to either look for other work in the mean time where u will get paid or u could ring up the organisation called Beat Bullying where they will help u and support u on what he going through and maybe give u advice on what to do. Have u suffered any injuries since being at work like the girl physically abusing u? If so it's maybe worth taking legal action and go to court and sort it from there.

They can look at both cases and see wether she's able to return back to work or not and if so give u money for compensation towards ur injury. I think it maybe either for u to have it up with the court, look for other work in the mean time if u think u can carry on if possible or speak to Best Bullying helpline where there are ways in which they could help and support u. There's more information about bullying on the site. Hope that helps as I really wanna an improvement for this situation. That ok? I think u have trier everything else and nothing seems to be working. X
    so if I'm walking down the street and I decide to throw boiling water at somebody or punch them, I could get in trouble. but if I go to work and do it it's perfectly okay? can you see how ridiculous that sounds? next time report it to the police ASAP, while you're still at work!

I never said it was ok... Did I? I have reported it to the police and they have said that there is nothing they can do to help me!

I knew I should not have posted this... Should have just kept quiet.
    SuzyOwl wrote: »
    I never said it was ok... Did I? I have reported it to the police and they have said that there is nothing they can do to help me!

I knew I should not have posted this... Should have just kept quiet.

The police should be following it up. They wouldn't have just said they can't do anything at all on the basis that it's at work and not in the street.
    The police here are different. They won't follow it up. It's that simple.
    Right, okay, what's their reason then? They'd elaborate, so why can't they take action?
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    Hi suzyowl, did u go to work today? If u did what happened today? Sometimes it's goof to write things down in a diary and say about ur day and what u did, who u did it with and where u did can help u understand a bit more what's been happening and why it's making u feel the way it makes u feel. Does help u to understand a bit more on what's going on around u even if u don't wanna speak to someone or can't.

There a contract u signed before u started work? Meaning did the job say anything about the terms and conditions in the contract, if so it's best to trace that up with ur line manager and as for the bullying well I suppose u have tried asking everyone to help u but no luck so the only conclusions is to either look for other work in the mean time where u will get paid or u could ring up the organisation called Beat Bullying where they will help u and support u on what he going through and maybe give u advice on what to do. Have u suffered any injuries since being at work like the girl physically abusing u? If so it's maybe worth taking legal action and go to court and sort it from there.

They can look at both cases and see wether she's able to return back to work or not and if so give u money for compensation towards ur injury. I think it maybe either for u to have it up with the court, look for other work in the mean time if u think u can carry on if possible or speak to Best Bullying helpline where there are ways in which they could help and support u. There's more information about bullying on the site. Hope that helps as I really wanna an improvement for this situation. That ok? I think u have trier everything else and nothing seems to be working. X

Nope not in work today thankfully. When I started there I signed nothing, so no formal contract or anything.

BeatBullying- Iused to be a member before I turned 18 :)
    Right, okay, what's their reason then? They'd elaborate, so why can't they take action?

As it is beng done in work there is nothing they can do. It is up to my company to deal with it. If it was on the street then they could take action.
    As it is beng done in work there is nothing they can do. It is up to my company to deal with it. If it was on the street then they could take action.

Bit it's assault so that's stupid.
    Meh..

Then I guess the police here are stupid then.
    Then I guess the police here are stupid then.

Yes, they clearly are.
    I can't force them to take action, it's up to my work. That's the rules. It's that simple.
    Thanks.. Sorry.
    Just dropping by to say sorry for being rude and that... Sorry and byes.