Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What does independence mean to you?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
10404195_10152123703047077_8166835859115901515_n.jpg

As this Friday is Independence Day over in the USA (the flag-waving, fireworks-filled one, not the mega alien invasion one. Hopefully.), we've teamed up with Kiss FM to piggy-back July the 4th and spend this week talking about independence more generally. Or rather, more specifically...

We want to know what being independent means to you in your life.

Being independent means lots of things to lots of people. For some it means moving out or getting their own place. For others it means getting a job and having financial stability. Others still might value having a group of close friends or finally getting that tattoo!

Tell us what independence means for you and we'll enter you into a prize draw to win one of 6 sets of Bananagrams (see below)! You can also get involved in the action on Twitter: #YourID2014
Bananagrams 11115766664_c7f72b34f5_t.jpg 11115704395_75dcd057ec_o.png
t440_e5f8c4e74ab7af28affdcc8c63762b94.jpg
"BANANAGRAMS: the fast and fun anagram game that will drive you bananas!"

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Independence to me will be when I move to Uni in September. I'll have to cook/clean/shop for myself, organise paying bills and finding work, as well as studying being more independent than it was at school.

(Is that enough?!)
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    That's great Nina! Going to uni must feel like a massive step towards independence! How are you feeling about it?
    James wrote: »
    That's great Nina! Going to uni must feel like a massive step towards independence! How are you feeling about it?

Ok I think, me and Jack are going for another look round on Wednesday to help me choose accommodation and get to know the uni a bit more, then I'm gonna enjoy summer until results day :)
    Independence to me is being able to do things myself with a bit of help this being a variety of things. But more importantly to me independence is about being emotionally ready to deal with things alone as well trusting those in my life with things which need more help in sorting. It doesnt necessarily mean being alone or doing things alone to me its about understanding when the difference is and being able to handle a variety of situations.

(probably makes no sense, but makes sense in my head)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Being able to support myself with my own means, taking responsibility for whatever happens good or bad and sorting it out. Having the freedom to do what I want, when I want and being able to make my own decisions.
    Means to me that u are independent in going places on ur own, dealing with ur problems, having some self respect for urself, knowing u got a house to go to, staying out of trouble, supporting ur family and meeting ur friends. You need to be strong, powerful, believe and strive in what u do and embrace being who u are no matter what others think.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Independance to me is varied, it's often a factor of being able to get out of your comfort zone, being able to think, and act for yourself, and taking it upon yourself to make decisions about the future, etc. Knowing where you boundaries lie. Not influenced or controlled by other matters and not relying on others.

You get my drift! :heart:
    Some really great responses here guys! There seems to be a lot about self-reliance, being able to count on yourself to get you through things. Does anyone else feel the same? Or differently for that matter?!
    I'm not sure you have to be able to solely count on yourself to deal with everything to be independent - but you need to manage yourself yourself.

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't lean on someone for support at times, but that's a two way thing. To me independence is more of a mind state than a tick list. Being self supporting is a good start, and being able to make your own decisions - but that doesn't mean you can't look to others for advice and to bounce ideas off before you make the decision yourself.
    Hi Scary Monster u are right when u said u can lean on others when u need support what can still make u independent as there's nothing wrong with. I don't think it's about ticking what u have done when u have done it. To be independent u have to know ur own mind in order to carry out tasks throughout the day so I don't think anyone is saying it's a to do list its more about getting things done on a day to day basis by urself without thinking I got to do that on my own and now have to do this so I dont relie on anyone. You can still be independent with doing things with people two and we have all become independent at some stage to manage ourselfs. You have to keep busy for ur minds mental health. No one can justify that. What makes u independent everyday Scary Monster? I bet there's always something to do
    Every day?

I'm one of those boring grown up types with a house, bills to pay and a full time job - so plenty for independence. Far too much responsibility and independence for my liking at times.
    That's part of everday life. Not trying to say it has to be chore but it's showing u that u can do all these things on ur own but it's not all bad as there's other things what make u independent also what may not be as boring. Not like ur stuck doing the same thing over and over again 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Everyone feels the same way as u.
    So Crazykiss,

What do you think independence means?
    I did say that independence ment knowing ur own mind in achieving what needs to be achieved in ur life. About being strong, determined and focused in life to do everything Independently with having some support two but more of a get back on the horse type of thing. Life is about making mistakes and the only way to learn from them is to not give up on urself so need those things for u to work forward to in life . Everyone is independent in their own way from waking up in the morning to going to work etc but if u asked me what indepence is about then I would say it's more of a goal for u to achieve when possible.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think "independence" is way too vague as a term. Independence from what? There's not one person in the world who is completely independent.
    Once you figure out what you want to be independent from, it should be very simple to figure out whether you are.
    So maybe the thread's question can be rephrased as "What do you want to be independent from?"
    I think the word independent is asking u the exact same question ur asking which is What do u want indepence from? They are kind both the same question meaning u are independent already from doing something so don't see how it's different to the other. Your already independent so the question is asking u the same thing. You can be independent doing anything like brushing ur teeth or making a sandwhich lol. Those are basic tasks but i think indepence is more of a goal to achieve then just being independent. People have to achieve something in order to become independent. That's what I believe. they are examples of independence. Everyone is indepent in their own way. I know we're I'd coming from as u maybe be thinking that someone old is independent. They may not be as much but they are still doing something to help themselves. I don't agree with what u said about that but I know the word is a bit random. You do have point.
    That's a good example of independence. You have responsibility to carry out certain tasks for the safe guarding of the children. Could be making sure all kitchen equipment is out of reach of children, keeping an eye on fire alarm, keeping them safe from playing with other children so biting or sscratching could be one of them, check to see if they are well and what to do if they arnt and just playing with them whilst observing what's going on around u. That is all about independence and u got to have a inner child in u to be a child like them with a background of experience. You do have the right idea in a way of being independent.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    independance is like, taking care of yourself, kinda like sleepwalking, knowing the tasks you have to do and actually doing them, like food shops, cooking, washing, everything you need to function:) and a cheeky wee break at a spa... :P
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Thanks for your replies everyone - interesting discussion. Some similar ideas of what independence means, but some a little different. There seems to be a fascinating balance between being able to count on yourself (your own knowledge, abilities and confidence) and choosing to rely on others.

I realise at the beginning I said that we'd be giving away 6 sets of Bananagrams, but seeing as 8 of you have replied, you might as well all get one :)
    I'll PM everyone who's replied above.

In the meantime, what's one thing you'd like to do to make you feel more independent?
    I would like to be independent in finding a career what's right for me in the future to live my dream forever and being successful in my career where I can become good at my job.